Project Descriptions

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

SombraGuerrero

Project Descriptions

Post by SombraGuerrero »

Before I log an admittedly very trivial issue for this, wanted to check here to see if anyone could confirm my observation. It seems that recently, the Web Control interface hasn't been loading project descriptions for projects that previously loaded them (never comes back with a response, just stays stuck on "loading..."). I can't find the XHR call that retrieves that information in the sea of other XHR calls that occur in there, but I don't see any 400 or 500 status codes that would indicate failing AJAX. Has anyone seen this who might have an explanation? I know this is a really non-critical thing, and you can still go to the website and view any description you want, but between this and the description links being broken for a long time in FAHControl, it'd be nice to have one of the two consistently working.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Project Descriptions

Post by Joe_H »

There have been multiple reports on this problem, mostly farther back in the Summer during the move to new servers. There are redirects in place for these addresses from the stanford.edu ones that are used in the older client. If you have not upgraded from the 7.4.4 version, I would recommend upgrading to the current version 7.5.1.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm not sure how or where WebControl looks, but there is a list of projects here: (https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary.html) and the 10th column points to the project description. Once you get to any project description, you'll have a link that points to any other project description.
SombraGuerrero

Post by SombraGuerrero »

Yeah, that's exactly why I wanted to talk about it on the forums first, because this behavior is occurring on 7.5.1, where I would have thought all the aforementioned redirects and URI updates would have been taken care of. So I was wondering if something else was going on.
bruce

Post by bruce »

As was suggested above, many of the web based URLs for FAH have been migrated to new locations but that has pretty much happened AFtER the testing and release of 7.5.1. Most old locations are being supported by redirects, but I've been seeing reports that suggest that's not yet a sufficiently robust system. Things do get fixed as they are reported, so I'll follow through and see if this is a known problem.