Client not auto starting tray icon at bootup

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ton80
Hardware configuration: MSI Z97M-G43, i7-4790K, GTX 960

Client not auto starting tray icon at bootup

Post by Ton80 »

This issue started on Oct 18th. I've uninstalled reinstalled several times since then with same results.

nVidia drivers are latest. Fresh copy of client. Windows 10 with latest updates. Logged in as admin sole account.

Looking at the shortcut properties located in C:\Users\my account name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup I find this

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe

Start in: C:\Users\my account name\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient

Is the Target: correct? If so then is the Start in: correct or not?

On a side note: when uninstalling with Data box ticked, this shortcut doesn't get deleted.

I can't figure out what is preventing this icon starting.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Client not auto starting tray icon at bootup

Post by toTOW »

Yes everything look fine. Do you see the FAHClient.exe process running in task manager after login into your Windows account ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Ton80

Post by Ton80 »

No.
bruce

Post by bruce »

I don't know how the systray icon is started. but I have a pretty good guess about one thing that's wrong -- though I can't verify it without opening up a Win10 system to try in on ... and knowing EXACTLY what those strings really are ... including where the spaces are.

Do any of the tokens contain spaces or other unexpected characters. For example, \my account name\ won't work they way you've typed it.
I realize your account is probably not literally called "my account name" (3 words) but if that actually were your account name, the phrase would need to be in quotes unless it's actually one word (without spaces) like MyAccountName or my_account_name (both considered as one word by Windows.

Notice that the first token in the "target" DOES have quotes. "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" but the second token does not. C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe which should make it into two tokens, separated by a space.

I would adjust that line to read
Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe"
or maybe
Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\HideConsole.exe" 'C:\Program Files (x86)\FAHClient\FAHClient.exe'
so that it's two tokens, separated by a space. The same would be true if my user name really was bruce b rather than bruce_b
Ton80

Post by Ton80 »

This is a fresh reinstall of the client and that shortcut is what is created by windows now. The path to it is C:\Users\tonei\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. The username is what Windows created. Sorry for confusion. I was just overly concerned for security reasons.

I tried your first option: the double quotes - Success twice
The single quotes didn't work.

What is baffling me is that this crazy behavior started last Thursday and has persisted through several fresh reinstalls of client. Back in August I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 onto an M.2 drive along with the current client - no problems at all like this. I'm starting to think that something has happened to my Windows install.

I'm working on re-confirming another issue I had overnight Saturday where after my gaming session, I right-clicked the tray icon and un-paused the client like I have always done for years. I wake up Sunday to discover that although the tray icon indicated folding status but no CPU or GPU work was ever done since last Friday when the WUs were assigned. I'll start a new thread if this happens tonight after my session. So far currently it works as I expect. Now for the session.
Ton80

Post by Ton80 »

ok after my session all seems to work as expected now but I have to be in the habit of confirming everything. Sigh.