Express install Suggestion

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

FrozdY

Post by FrozdY »

I find it INCREDIBLY bad that I can't choose to either mine through the GPU OR the CPU, I don't want a slider that controls both... I want a slider for CPU and GPU separately, so that I can go for more CPU folding, because that's the more powerful and the only thing I can spare resources for...

My MSI R9 390 goes to 98% on medium... and not only that, it shoots up to 90 degrees Celsius as well at that point, so I wanna do light folding on the GPU, and do medium on my CPU, could you please fix that?...
FrozdY

Post by FrozdY »

Could you please fix so that I can choose how much CPU and GPU I want to use separately? I want my CPU on medium (because it can spare LOADS more resources) and I want my GPU on light (My MSI R9 390 8G shoots up to 98% usage and 90 degrees Celsius on only medium....)
bruce

Re: Express install Suggestion

Post by bruce »

There is no such thing as a reduced setting for a GPU. GPU folding is either ON or OFF. It does not have an operating system with the sophistication of Windows/Linux/MacOS. If it ON, the percentage you see depends entirely on how effective it's drivers are at pegging the computational resources and the effectivity of data transfers from/to main RAM to/from the GPU.

The slider can manage the number of CPU threads allocated to folding. Details depend on how many threads your CPU supports and what else they're being used for. (One thread is always reserved to manage data transfers to/ from each GPU.)

For precise management of your resources, you'll need to learn to use the Advanced Control program (aka FAHControl) which allows you to customize any of the settings that FAH provides. WebControl is designed to be simple.
FrozdY

Post by FrozdY »

Oh for.... then make the CPU a slider, and have a on/off switch for GPU then... Must I think of everything?...
rwh202
Hardware configuration: 8x GTX 1080
3x GTX 1080 Ti
3x GTX 1060
Various other bits and pieces

Post by rwh202 »

The web control is a basic interface for those who don't know the difference between a GPU and CPU and gives them the bare minimum granularity of control.

For everyone else, there's 'advanced control' which gives you all the control you want.