System crashes

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: System crashes

Post by bruce »

Forcinghavok wrote:Hey Bruce, sorry I thought you had my machine info. Windows 7 and I think the last version was 7.14 or something like that. Is it possible to install the last version of the software?
I was also wondering what this warning means, size of positions doesn't match topology?
Sorry, but I don't remember everybody's configuration. I depend on you being able to tell me.

Yes, you can reinstall FAHClient Version 7.4.4 but it will be equally problematic unless you explain the problems you're having and then follow our instructions Either version will run on Windows 7.

The only problem you seem to be having is the "Size of positions 5845 does not match topology 5844" message which is related to that particular project and that particular FAHCore, not to the version of FAHClient that you're running. This project uses some anchor points which look like extra atoms and are improperly counted in this version of the FAHCore.
Forcinghavok

Post by Forcinghavok »

Hey, can you send me a link for windows version 7.44? It is not listed on the downloads page or maybe I am missing it?

Thank you.
erik
bruce

Post by bruce »

Just to be clear, you want an installer package of FAHClinet v7.4.4 for Windows. Would that be to install on 32-bit Windows XP or on 64-bit Windows 2008.

I still recommend you install FAHClient V.7.5.1 for your version of Windws.
Forcinghavok

Post by Forcinghavok »

Yes, if you don't mind I would like to go back to the previous version for windows 7 64 bit. Thank you.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

At the bottom of the page for the Beta test versions of the client there is a link to older versions - https://foldingathome.org/beta/. You may have to go down the filesystem tree to find the 7.4.4 installer for Windows. It will still install a 32-bit version of the client, and download 64-bit folding cores as needed when WU's are processed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Forcinghavok

Post by Forcinghavok »

At the bottom of the page for the Beta test versions of the client there is a link to older versions - https://foldingathome.org/beta/. You may have to go down the filesystem tree to find the 7.4.4 installer for Windows. It will still install a 32-bit version of the client, and download 64-bit folding cores as needed when WU's are processed.
I was going to ask about how does the installer know if your machine is 32 or 64 bit? So the client is 32 bit by default? Is there a 64 bit client? How does the client know what bit cores it needs?

thanks.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As part of the system info the client detects whether your system is 32 or 64 bit.

In the case of Windows there is just a 32-bit installer, the one beta 64-bit installer had problems and was withdrawn.

For OS X there is just a 64-bit installer. Linux has both, and it is up to the person installing to use the correct one. But support for 32-bit processing on Linux is deprecated and eventually not be supported.

As for knowing which cores will be needed, some projects require the 64-bits. They will not be assigned to a 32-bit system. Otherwise which core will be downloaded will depend on the project assigned.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Take a look at the System Info tab in FAHControl (or the first page of FAH's log). When FAHClient starts, it detects a number of important things about your system.

What CPU do I have, the number of CPU threads it provides, how much RAM I have, which type of SMP code is used, which OS version I have, whether I have and am using a battery, what timezone am I in, what ProcessID is running, what is the current working directory, which OS am I running, which OS architecture is available (32-bit x86 or 64-bit with the AMD instruction set), how many GPUs are in this system and what code do they support, and is this client running as a Windows service?

Code: Select all

:******************************* System ********************************
:            CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
:         CPU ID: GenuineIntel Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 4
:           CPUs: 8
:         Memory: 5.99GiB
:    Free Memory: 4.87GiB
:        Threads: WINDOWS_THREADS
:     OS Version: 6.1
:    Has Battery: false
:     On Battery: false
:     UTC Offset: -8
:            PID: 2604
:            CWD: C:\Users\bruce\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient
:             OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
:        OS Arch: AMD64
:           GPUs: 2
:          GPU 0: Bus:3 Slot:0 Func:0 NVIDIA:4 GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti] 1306
:          GPU 1: Bus:4 Slot:0 Func:0 NVIDIA:5 GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] 2308
:  CUDA Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:4 Slot:0 Compute:5.2 Driver:9.1
:  CUDA Device 1: Platform:0 Device:1 Bus:3 Slot:0 Compute:5.0 Driver:9.1
:OpenCL Device 0: Platform:0 Device:0 Bus:4 Slot:0 Compute:1.2 Driver:391.35
:OpenCL Device 1: Platform:0 Device:1 Bus:3 Slot:0 Compute:1.2 Driver:391.35
:  Win32 Service: false
The Assignment Server uses this information to assign you WUs that your system can process. Each WU contains enough information to decide which FAHCore is needed to process it.