Interviewing an Established Member of the FAH Community

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ringmaster

Interviewing an Established Member of the FAH Community

Post by ringmaster »

If there is a better place to post this, let me know. I figured that since it is the Q&A section, it would be appropriate.

I am a college student that is working on a civic engagement project, and I have decided to choose Folding@home as my topic of discussion. For my project, in order to gain a better understanding of folding, its importance, challenges, and other information, I would like to interview someone who has experience and is a long-standing member of the folding community. The questions are fairly general, and it would not take long - just a quick online chat.

If anyone is would be willing to do this, please let me know, and thank you!
SteveWillis
Hardware configuration: PC 1:
Linux Mint 17.3
three gtx 1080 GPUs One on a powered header
Motherboard = [MB-AM3-AS-SB-990FXR2] qty 1 Asus Sabertooth 990FX(+59.99)
CPU = [CPU-AM3-FX-8320BR] qty 1 AMD FX 8320 Eight Core 3.5GHz(+41.99)

PC2:
Linux Mint 18
Open air case
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
three gtx 1080,
one gtx 1080 TI on a powered header

Re: Interviewing an Established Member of the FAH Community

Post by SteveWillis »

Be sure and read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home
I think it's a pretty good description.

1080 and 1080TI GPUs on Linux Mint
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Or post your questions here and we all can answer them (But this could lead to more discussions).
bruce

Post by bruce »

More discussion is appropriate.

e.g.- the wikipedia article needs some updates on topics such as the FAH Consortium.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

@ringmaster If you have not already read, this may answer question, from when F@H was young:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=31384
bruce

Post by bruce »

Ricorocks wrote:@ringmaster If you have not already read, this may answer question, from when F@H was young:
When somebody says some other person is "young" you really have to know how old the speaker is. Use of that word depends on your own perspective.

I'd call FAH "middle-aged" since it had already done quite a bit of maturing when that article was written -- but I won't argue with your perspective.
:D.

You might consider updating some sections of that article.
Ricorocks

Post by Ricorocks »

You might consider updating some sections of that article.
Not sure how to update some sections & that would be more accurate, by those with greater knowledge of FAH than myself.

I can safely say the world & nature is not "Static" or stays the same, over time we evolve & things get 'better, or smarter' (autos got better, computers got better, man became smarter etc), also evolving & becoming better, since 2002 NYT article, (compared to earlier years), is FAH.

Both articles I consider an introduction to, or a jumping in point for the reader, who would/could seek further info, so as to compare 2002 FAH to 2019FAH. The progression/advancement to me is understood, or a known known :D