FAHClient Segmentation fault

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

lleb

FAHClient Segmentation fault

Post by lleb »

Fresh install of Fedora 29 and attempting to get my F@H up and running on this system. I have been running win7 with the F@H client zero issues for a while now on this rig so the hardware is solid enough for CPU folding.

Code: Select all

[root@XXXX Downloads]# ll
total 127460
-rw-r--r--. 1 XXX XXX   3025708 Jan  9 20:57 fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm
-rw-rw-r--. 1 XXX XXX    214076 Jan  9 20:06 fahcontrol-7.5.1-1.noarch.rpm
[root@win7 Downloads]# dnf -y install fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64.rpm
Last metadata expiration check: 1:13:34 ago on Wed 09 Jan 2019 07:44:41 PM EST.
Dependencies resolved.
=============================================================================================================================================================================================
 Package                                       Arch                                       Version                                     Repository                                        Size
=============================================================================================================================================================================================
Installing:
 fahclient                                     x86_64                                     7.5.1-1                                     @commandline                                     2.9 M

Transaction Summary
Install  1 Package

Total size: 2.9 M
Installed size: 7.1 M
Downloading Packages:
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                                                                     1/1 
  Installing       : fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64                                                                                                                                            1/1 
  Running scriptlet: fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64                                                                                                                                            1/1 
Starting fahclient ... /etc/init.d/FAHClient: line 64:  5417 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $EXEC $OPTS > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
FAIL

Verifying        : fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64                                                                                                                                            1/1 

Installed:
  fahclient-7.5.1-1.x86_64                                                                                                                                                                   

Complete!
I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times including from one of my laptops that also has the same client rpm file I just rsynced over.

So what steps and information do you require in order for me to help you help me.

Thank you.
bruce

Re: FAHClient Segmentation fault

Post by bruce »

FAH's log will probably be helpful. (See below)

Do you run a GPU? Is OpenCL installed? Did you download proprietary drivers? Is Fedora 32-bit or 64-bit?
lleb

Post by lleb »

bruce, thank you for the reply. There is no log file and the FAHControl is locked while waiting to connect.

[root@workstation ~]# ll /var/lib/fahclient/
total 0

[root@workstation ~]# vi /etc/fahclient/config.xml 
[root@workstation ~]# /etc/init.d/FAHClient start
Starting fahclient ... /etc/init.d/FAHClient: line 64: 15608 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $EXEC $OPTS > /dev/null 2> /dev/null
FAIL
[root@workstation ~]# cat /etc/fahclient/config.xml 
<config>
  <!--
    This is a sample XML configuration file for the Folding@home
    console client.  This configuration file format is explained
    in detail in the Client User's Guide.

Copy this file to 'config.xml' and edit.

To set your user name, team and passkey just edit the text
    in quotes below.
  -->

<!-- User Information -->
  <user value="Mr.Brunkow"/> <!-- Enter your user name here -->
  <team value="134546"/>         <!-- Your team number -->
  <passkey value=""/>       <!-- 32 hexadecimal characters if provided -->

<power value="light"/>
  <gpu value="false"/>      <!-- If true, attempt to autoconfigure GPUs -->
  <fold-anon value="false"/>

<!-- Folding Slots
    No folding slot configuration is necessary.  The client will
    automaticlaly choose a good configuration for you.  However, here
    are some examples:

<slot id="0" type="CPU"/>

or

<slot id="0" type="CPU"/>
      <slot id="1" type="GPU"/>

All slots in a configuration MUST have unique ids.
   -->

<!-- Granting Remote FAHControl Access
    To grant remote access to FAHControl and the remote command server add
    the following:

<allow>127.0.0.1 x.x.x.x</allow>
      <password>PASS</password>

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the computer which should be granted
    remote access and PASS is you choose to further secure the connection.
  -->

<!-- Granting Remote Web Access
    If you would like to grant remote Web access then you need these two
    configuration lines:

<allow>127.0.0.1 x.x.x.x</allow>
      <web-allow>127.0.0.1 x.x.x.x</web-allow>

Where x.x.x.x is the IP address of the computer which should be granted
    remote access.  You may also need to open port 7396 on your firewall.

You can then access the Web interface remotely by going to this address:

http://y.y.y.y:7396/

Where y.y.y.y is the IP address of this computer.
  -->
</config>
This is a 64bit system, just like both of my laptops.

[root@workstation ~]# uname -a
Linux workstation 4.19.13-300.fc29.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Dec 29 22:54:28 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Edit to add, sorry I dont remember if I posted this in my OP, but no I will not be running a GPU for folding. The GPU in this rig is to old and overheats far to fast when used to fold. I will be using CPU only.
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

Fedora is probably not the most stable OS to be folding on, since it's a redhat derivative that's 'pioneering' the newest advances, and considered the most popular, yet least stable Redhat based OS around.
CentOs or OpenSuse might be a more stable option (in some cases, you can get Redhat OS completely free if you are lucky enough that your hardware is fully supported, and you're smart enough to make it all work on your OS without cs help).
lleb

Post by lleb »

ProDigit wrote:Fedora is probably not the most stable OS to be folding on, since it's a redhat derivative that's 'pioneering' the newest advances, and considered the most popular, yet least stable Redhat based OS around.
CentOs or OpenSuse might be a more stable option (in some cases, you can get Redhat OS completely free if you are lucky enough that your hardware is fully supported, and you're smart enough to make it all work on your OS without cs help).

While i hear what you are saying, clearly you have failed to read above. I have F@H running on 2 laptops running identical OS to my workstation.

Fedora is NOT unstable by any means, at least no more unstable than most non-server class distros, so just as good/bad as Ubtunu, Arch, Mandriva, SUSE, and the list goes on.

CentOS is great if I were using it for my server that will not have the kernel vs changed for 5-10 years. That is neither a good way, nor a safe way to manage a workstation.

Now back to the question at hand, do you have a solution for the issue with F@H refusing to start properly?
ProDigit

Post by ProDigit »

Like said,
Fedora constantly updates their stuff, so if something doesn't work, it's understandable.
Unlike Debian based operating systems, where I found the most stable fah client runs on the most modern Linux, rpm based fah client runs most stable on the older versions.
I hardly think older redhat distributions are unsafe, perhaps you'd have to weigh out the safety issue vs if the thing works or not.
And it's another question if newer OS is safer or not than older ones. Newer things bring newer problems.
My workable solution was to change OS, which is very easy to test with a live USB.
Fedora had issues running on my system as well, where as the full version of redhat worked fine.
My issue were hardware/software compatibility, rather than fah.
I never fully tested fedora due to hardware issues, like missing drivers.
Ymmv.
lleb

Post by lleb »

Sorry you have had issues with Fedora in the past. It is my OS of choice due to having used it on/off for more than a decade. I have used Debian, Gentoo, and others in that time, but I always come back to Fedora.

So again, unless you have a solution, or some other time wise insight, I am asking for assistance to get this rig back to folding.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Maybe try previous version FahClient 7.4.4 if it makes a difference?
lleb

Post by lleb »

hmm, Ok I can try that. Ill be doing to upgrades to my file server this afternoon, once that is complete I will try the older version of the client.