FAH will not connect properly

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Lingon

Re: FAH will not connect properly

Post by Lingon »

bruce wrote:Please post the top page or two of FAHlog.log showing the hardware that FAHClient detects. That will probably will help us resolve your issue.

Have you installed the proprietary GPU drivers directly from AMD? ... and rebooted after changing the drivers?
As far as I understood it from my last endeavour into Ubuntu-based desktop OSs on my main machine is that there is no more proprietary AMD drivers for it any more (fglrx) and that the main driver for AMD is now the open source one. I could of course be wrong; but unlike a few years ago, I can no longer switch between the open source and the proprietary drivers in the driver manager, as no option to do so appears.

Regarding the FAHlog.log, you did not specify where to find it. After some searching online, I was manage to locate this page https://foldingathome.org/faqs/installa ... locations/ which tells me to look inside /var/lib/fahclient. However, this folder, while existing, is completely empty.
foldy wrote:I just learned on Linux Ubuntu and Mint there is a new command systemctl

Code: Select all

sudo systemctl start FAHClient
This spat out the following response:

Job for FAHClient.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status FAHClient.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Gave me:

● FAHClient.service - LSB: Folding@home Client
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/FAHClient; generated)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2019-04-10 10:50:39 CEST; 24s ag
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
  Process: 3358 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/FAHClient start (code=exited, status=1/FAI

apr 10 10:50:38 MintHost systemd[1]: Starting LSB: Folding@home Client...
apr 10 10:50:39 MintHost FAHClient[3358]: Starting fahclient ... FAIL
apr 10 10:50:39 MintHost systemd[1]: FAHClient.service: Control process exited, 
apr 10 10:50:39 MintHost systemd[1]: FAHClient.service: Failed with result 'exit
apr 10 10:50:39 MintHost systemd[1]: Failed to start LSB: Folding@home Client.
And the latter command

journalctl -xe
Gave a monstrously long wall of text, long enough to make me not want to post it here.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

FAH Installation looks corrupted. Did you try to uninstall FAH and install it again?
Lingon

Post by Lingon »

I did, yes. A couple of times at that. FAH only keeps data on the drive it is installed to, right?

But, I suspect since I had a freeze during the first install that something went wrong and it perhaps did not manage to recover from there. How would I go about wiping the entire install for sure, without a hard drive reformat?
Theodore

Post by Theodore »

I don't have a lot of Linux knowledge, but I remember trying to install fah as well on other Linux machines, and found that the installer (apt or apt-get) doesn't install the dependencies.
Since then, I use a built in installer from the GUI, so I don't need the command to force-install the dependencies.

If you don't have the GUI, I would recommend to completely remove fah, and follow the manual.

Try to repeat the command on the main page (advanced Linux install)here, using --force-depends:

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... -advanced/

And make sure to replace the Deb version with the one you downloaded from the main page, (as the manual isn't updated recently and uses an older version of fah).
Lingon

Post by Lingon »

Theodore wrote:I don't have a lot of Linux knowledge, but I remember trying to install fah as well on other Linux machines, and found that the installer (apt or apt-get) doesn't install the dependencies.
Since then, I use a built in installer from the GUI, so I don't need the command to force-install the dependencies.

If you don't have the GUI, I would recommend to completely remove fah, and follow the manual.

Try to repeat the command on the main page (advanced Linux install)here, using --force-depends:

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... -advanced/

And make sure to replace the Deb version with the one you downloaded from the main page, (as the manual isn't updated recently and uses an older version of fah).
I was prompted to install dependencies in the regular installation method, which all completed without error. So unfortunately, this does not seem to be my problem.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

foldy wrote:

sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-libopencl1
sudo apt-get install ocl-icd-opencl-dev
Just double checking,
This command is for AMD cards, not Nvidia, right?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

I'd say both ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
Lingon

Post by Lingon »

Well, I am still stuck here. :(
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I would say, first to see if you can play 3D games, or try to run heaven Benchmark, to see if you get decent results, and there aren't any incompatibilities just running hardware acceleration.
If Heaven benchmark runs fine, the issue probably is with a FAH installation.

If the benchmark doesn't run fine, is choppy, you have a driver issue.

I think it's the easiest way to see if your hardware and drivers are working properly, prior to trying to make folding work.
https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
s_crosby

Post by s_crosby »

Hello,

I had the same problem. In the GUI, I removed the client (client0). Then added one back using the default settings. Bingo.

Seth Crosby
Washington University
peterjammo

Post by peterjammo »

foldy wrote:In my Linux Mint 19 I can start FAHClient this way in console:
/usr/bin/FAHClient
I had a wu terminate part through with three consecutive messages in the log that just said "error". I didn't make a copy of the log unfortunately.

I rebooted in case there the error was my end and might resolve with a reboot, but on reboot FAH Control stuck on "connecting". Same with Web control. I rebooted again with same result,then started searching the forums. I found this thread and tried the above quoted via terminal. This connected, but my username was missing. I reentered my username manually and it started to look for a download,but when I shut down terminal it went back to connecting. I started it again through terminal as above, re-entered my name again, and it immediately started work on a new wu.

I've left it running with the terminal open, but can't make any changes via FAH Control, ie access logs, preferences,configure etc.

I'm thinking to let it complete the wu then try reinstalling, but has anyone got a better plan?
peterjammo

Post by peterjammo »

I posted an update but that seems not to have worked. Think I've solved the problem. I'd run out of disc space. Cleared a couple of GB and things are looking normal again. I've posted a separate topic on disc space in the newbies bit.
gchristopher

Post by gchristopher »

Seeing same thing on linux here- "Failed to start LSB: Folding@Home Client.

running /bin/FAHClient from terminal worked, but I agree it is much better to have this autostart as a daemon and the scripts are all there.

I too tried uninstalling and reinstalling hoping for that ever-important question: Would you like to run at startup? I decided no at first, and now I never get the question again. Something gets left over after uninstall and when running the FAHClient installer again it does not ask.

It would be much better if someone could explain where in the system startup folders we need the link for a working setup.

Typically the startup script lives in /init.d/ (it is there) and there are softlinks from rc3.d rc4.d etc. I don't see any links in those folders. Of course the uninstaller missed all the K01FAHClient links- they are all in there lol. This means the system knows how to stop it when it shuts down or inits to a different runlevel but it doesn't know how to start it up

I added a softlink to the startup file:
sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/FAHClient /etc/rc5.d/S02FAHClient

That creates a startup item for runlevel 5 on ubuntu, which is what everyone is running ubuntu desktop as. If you are running server, you may need to create a softlink in rc3.d and or rc4.d.

When I rebooted, it was running although I had several other instances running this time. It is possible that it respawns itself for each core but I am a little bit concerned with the number of matching processes I saw. But very glad it's running at boot now.

ps aux | grep fah
root 1281 0.1 0.0 86148 2020 ? Ssl 14:19 0:13 /usr/bin/FAHClient /etc/fahclient/config.xml --run-as fahclient --pid-file=/var/run/fahclient.pid --daemon
fahclie+ 1283 0.3 0.4 677008 24916 ? Sl 14:19 0:41 /usr/bin/FAHClient --child /etc/fahclient/config.xml --run-as fahclient --pid-file=/var/run/fahclient.pid --daemon
fahclie+ 1292 0.0 0.0 78296 708 ? SNl 14:19 0:09 /usr/bin/FAHCoreWrapper /var/lib/fahclient/cores/cores.foldingathome.org/v7/lin/64bit/Core_a7.fah/FahCore_a7 -dir 00 -suffix 01 -version 706 -lifeline 1283 -checkpoint 15 -np 2
fahclie+ 1308 156 1.4 302980 90196 ? RNl 14:19 349:16 /var/lib/fahclient/cores/cores.foldingathome.org/v7/lin/64bit/Core_a7.fah/FahCore_a7 -dir 00 -suffix 01 -version 706 -lifeline 1292 -checkpoint 15 -np 2