Please could you whitelist the RTX 2070 Super?

Post requests to add new GPUs to the official whitelist here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Shirty

Please could you whitelist the RTX 2070 Super?

Post by Shirty »

Just popped one of these in, hot off the press, and it's not present in gpus.txt.

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to seeing what this can do!
bruce

Re: Please could you whitelist the RTX 2070 Super?

Post by bruce »

Done.

Report your findings
nodezeon

Post by nodezeon »

Would it be possible to add this 2070 Super also please?

bruce

Post by bruce »

Any idea what the difference is between the 0x1EC device is and the 0x1E84 is?
nodezeon

Post by nodezeon »

No idea to be honest, I was wondering why it would be different to the one posted above.

I thought it may have been just an old version of GPU-Z not giving the right info but it's all up to date so i'm not sure why it's different.

Mine's an Nvidia founders edition if that helps at all, perhaps something to do with the partner cards vs nvidia founders cards?

I'd be interested to know what flavor Shirty's card is...
nodezeon

Post by nodezeon »

Did a bit more research - turns out not all 2070 Supers are the same - https://www.kitguru.net/components/grap ... gb-review/

"On top of the fact that RTX 2070 SUPER uses the TU104 GPU, it’s also interesting that Nvidia’s specs claim it has ‘5 or 6’ Graphics Processing Clusters (GPCs). This is noteworthy because, for TU104, each GPC houses 4 Texture Processing Clusters (TPCs) – and the specs are very clear that RTX 2070 SUPER has 20 TPCs. So basic maths says the GPU should have 5 GPCs. So why the ‘5 or 6’?
Well, it turns out not all RTX 2070 SUPERs are made quite the same. They will all have 40 SMs (two SMs per TPC), but these may be spread across 5 or 6 GPCs – i.e. some GPCs will not be fully populated with 4 TPCs if you get a 2070 SUPER with 6 GPCs. Nvidia’s Rick Napier, Senior Technical Product Manager, told us:
‘We [Nvidia] sweep in a variety of ways, and as a result some RTX 2070 GPUs have 5 GPCs, and some contain 6. The performance difference between 5 GPC vs 6 GPC GPUs is negligible. Ultimately because we’ve outfitted the GPU with 20 TPCs and higher clocks, the RTX 2070 SUPER is on average 16% faster than RTX 2070.’"

Possibly something to do with this?
bruce

Post by bruce »

Hmmm, "...on the average..."
So is my GPU above or below average?

His numbers make sense, but apparently there's no way to judge what you're getting when you buy one. Maybe the answer to my previous question is ... You'll probably never know :P and if you do figure it out, it won't be posted on the outside of the box.
nodezeon

Post by nodezeon »

From what I can tell the 2070 Super GPU's are 2080's that didn't make the cut for whatever reason, I guess certain aspects of each are either non functional or disabled which could potentially lead to a fair few different variants!?

Not good in this instance as they'd need to all be added to the white list I guess, will be interesting to see how many different variants there are...

So how do I get mine working? Do I just delete the GPUs.txt file and reboot the client?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Yes, try deleting your GPUs.txt file and restart the client. There is an entry in the current file for that device ID now.

I can not tell if it is one that Bruce added, or one that has been there. The description field says "1070 Super", Bruce might have been adding it and a typo occurred then. But that will not affect folding.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
nodezeon

Post by nodezeon »

Thanks for getting back to me Joe,

Just give it a try but still no joy, I can see the entry but its still not letting me use the GPU for some reason :-/

I feel like i've bought a dud! lol
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I wonder why the GPU says '1EC7', instead of 'TU104'?
I wonder if the first is an engineering sample, or press release sample of sort?
nodezeon

Post by nodezeon »

Not sure, the one they reviewed on the link above has a completely different GPU

Shirty

Post by Shirty »

Sorry for the delay in responding, and thank you very much for the prompt response. It's been folding about 30 hours now, and is churning out an average of just over 1.4m ppd. It's overclocked to 2050MHz on the core, everything else on stock.

All in all I'm pretty happy, roughly 2080 performance levels. I'm a Windows user, be interesting to see if it can go higher on Linux.

Good luck to any users still having issues getting variants working, if it helps mine is a Palit blower model, living in a climate controlled server room with the fan set to 100% where it has yet to exceed 50 degrees.
bruce

Post by bruce »

MeeLee wrote:I wonder why the GPU says '1EC7', instead of 'TU104'?
I wonder if the first is an engineering sample, or press release sample of sort?
The TU104 is the code-name of the chip used in the GPU. The 1EC7 is the device identification code ... which includes the characteristics of the memory and other details of the hardware that supports the chip.
Shirty

Post by Shirty »

Some of the other data reported in Nodezeon's GPU-Z capture is interesting as well. The 2070 Super definitely only has 160 texture mapping units, not 213. This translates to a peak texture fill-rate of 283.2 GT/s, definitely not 377.0. Those figures would sit somewhere between the as-yet unreleased 2080 Super and the Ti.