Laptop Vega 8 not clocking right mhz

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Green

Laptop Vega 8 not clocking right mhz

Post by Green »

it can go 1100MHZ, its been at 199MHZ for a week.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
JimboPalmer

Re: Laptop Vega 8 not clocking right mhz

Post by JimboPalmer »

The base clock seems to be 300 Mhz

There is a new driver today:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd- ... aphics/amd
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Green

Post by Green »

1101 is the base clock. As soon as the cpu temp passes 65 degrees the gpu becomes downclocked and therefore unusable. I put kryonaut thermal paste on it, so I can run gpu at about 500 mhz with no cpu, you think vega 8 laptop gpu is better than the cpu side of a 2500u? it was getting to about 63 degrees on running at 800MHZ, dropped to 500MHZ and 50 degrees, im thinking the new generation ryzen laptop has got to have more hardware than this. But if theres a monkey working on the other side of this, i did make sure it had the vega 8 gpu, as laptops often lack gpus.

somethings buggy, i actually dont think its the heat, at least not always with a 95 tdp
Last edited by Joe_H on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged 2 posts
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... ga-8.c3042

The base clock is 300 Mhz
The boost clock is 1100 Mhz

I would expect temperature to determine speed.
Tsar of all the Rushers
bruce

Post by bruce »

JimboPalmer wrote:I would expect temperature to determine speed.
I would too. In fact, a GPU's performance depends to a large extent or the cooling solution. A slow GPU doesn't generate much heat and doesn't consume a lot of power. Higher compute loads generate more heat which must be dissipated by some means. Laptops are often limited in their ability to dissipate heat ... (and of course they're always limited by the capacity of their battery, too.)

By designing an integrated CPU/GPU that can process work slowly and at low power which can switch to a boost clockvery briefly they can advertise both it's ability to preserve battery life as well as to process graphics at high speed. ...But it cannot do both simultaneously for very long. FAH does operate on a continuous basis, so it taxes the ability of the cooling subsystem to dissipate a continuous production of heat.
Green

Post by Green »

well I posted something a couple of days ago, but it was never published. I already wrote it but, there are about 40-50 pages on why my Lenovo 330-15ARR downclocks. They seem to think they would get alot of power out of it. I mean honestly this thing can power through anything while running boinc and folding @ home at the same time, im adding 16gb of ram, but only running probably folding@home alzheimers, im not particular, and would like to use the ram with boinc, but the more I disappear in the rankings the more I stay on task.

They seem to think they would get alot more power out of the vega 8, but after I realized it was a fancy apu, I kind of accepted reality, its just fast for everything but folding. This is a problem affecting probably even the new ryzen laptops because they are all vega 8 as well. maybe not, I dont have the time for a 32 core cpu that I heard amd released stock after i built 16 core.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Nothing shows in the logs for a post from you a couple days ago, so it appears your post failed to go through at all.

Now in your earlier post you mention applying "kryonaut thermal paste". That might not have done anything to help the situation, and in fact could have reduced thermal transfer Was the original connection between the APU and its heat sink in the laptop a thermal transfer pad? That is common in laptops as a pad tolerates the flexing common to laptop applications. Paste on top of a pad can make things worse, and will not work as a replacement for a pad due to the thickness.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

[I am just a user like yourself, I have no special insight into F@H]
Green wrote:They seem to think they would get alot of power out of it. They seem to think they would get alot more power out of the vega 8, but after I realized it was a fancy apu,
I am unclear who "they" is but every laptop is thermally limited. If you want higher PPD, make sure it is as cool as you can.
Green wrote:I mean honestly this thing can power through anything while running boinc and folding @ home at the same time, im adding 16gb of ram, but only running probably folding@home alzheimers, im not particular, and would like to use the ram with boinc, but the more I disappear in the rankings the more I stay on task.
No computer, laptop or otherwise, will do as well running multiple projects as just one.
Green wrote:This is a problem affecting probably even the new ryzen laptops because they are all vega 8 as well. maybe not, I dont have the time for a 32 core cpu that I heard amd released stock after i built 16 core.
AMD's laptop APUs are always a generation behind their desktop chips. That is their business model. The APU based on the current CPU is due mid 2020.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-r ... 40145.html
Tsar of all the Rushers
Green

Post by Green »

I dont take pads off, I only paste whats been pre pasted. Also kyronaut is the best thermal paste you can buy.

"They" Is infact the lenovo technical support forum. Bottom line is 95tdp shouldnt downclock, and it doesnt, theres a technical name for what they have it perticularly doing, and it doesnt matter anyways because you could fix a temp, you cant fix this. People have added fans, for instance I used a entire area fan, set it horizontal and put the laptop on top, didnt make a difference. I get hot, I have like 10 fans, I could have left it there if it worked.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Paste can be conductive.
Make sure none of the GPU pins have paste on them!
It can cause errors.
Green

Vega 8 running, gpu-z says no gpu utilization

Post by Green »

well I was going to let this topic die because I have already had 2 posts on this topic, but then gpu-z has a new read on my laptop that says usage. I know usage statistics have always been there, but they werent there on this laptop last time I wrote this. So basically I have a 2500u with vega 8 graphics, while it is running and turning over work units, utilization says its extremely low. I agree, wiki says a vega 8 will do 1000 gflops a second, thats the same as a 750gtx, a r9 380 only does 3000. So, use it or lose it, whatever.
Very Respectfully
Ben D.C. Bruner
bruce

Post by bruce »

Low usage in CPU-Z means very little. Low usage in GPU-Z does matter.