Choosing between 2 GPU's

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Greg_BE

Choosing between 2 GPU's

Post by Greg_BE »

I have 2 GPU's one is a GTX 650 and the other is a 1050TI
I want to keep the 1050 available for BOINC projects like GPU grid which doesn't like the 650 and is isolated to the 1050.
I want to use just my 650 here for GPU computing since there are times the memory requirement in BOINC does not allow it to run.
I don't want any extra load on the 1050 as stuff that runs on that GPU is already slow enough and anything extra will slow it down even more or cause the task to stall.

In my configuration on FAH I have tried setting the GPU to 1 (which I thought would just cause the 650 to get work and ignore the 1050), but when I save the settings the GPU goes back to -1.
I am only interested in running 1 out of the 2 GPU's here. For CPU it is not a problem. FAH can have as much as it wants.
So how do I isolate just one GPU for FAH?
MeeLee

Re: Choosing between 2 GPU's

Post by MeeLee »

Just add the 2 GPUs, look at what slot the GPU has that you want to remove, then in FahConsole >> options >> slots , remove the slot occupying the 1050.
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

Problems solved, See below.
Last edited by Greg_BE on Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

Got it work finally.
Updated drivers (Studio vs Gaming)
Fussed around a bit and it finally decided to work.
Problem solved.
bruce

Post by bruce »

If BOINC is configured to use all of your CPUs, it will slow down FAH ... for 2 reasons.
1) BOINC and FAH may both be configured to use the CPUs -- and due to the way the priority settings work (in Windows, if that's what you're talking about) they don't share amicably unless you configure both of them to limit the number of threads they can use (with a sum <= the number of CPUs you have).
2) To make full use of your GTX 650 for FAH, we recommend you allocate one CPU thread exclusively to supplying data to the GPU. That will reduce the sum (above) by one more.

The critical part of FAH's log is at the very top of the file, containing information about

******************************* System ********************************
CPU: ...
CPU ID ...
CPUs: ...
Memory: ...
CWD: ...
OS Arch: AMD64
GPUs: 1
GPU 0: ...
CUDA Device 0 ...
OpenCL Device ...
<config>
</config>
Greg_BE

Post by Greg_BE »

ok...dropped 1 cpu on BOINC.
I've been cranking out FAH stuff on time as far as I know, but dropping 1 cpu is no big deal for me on BOINC.
Frees 1 up for general stuff here on the PC.
It's a Ryzen 7 2700 with 8 cores 16 threads.

All I was seeing is that for some reason until I updated games driver version of NVIDIA the 650 could not be seen by either program. I had the studio driver update, but not game. After the game driver update I could see both GPU's in both programs. Windows saw both with no problem.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Are you running FAH and BOINC on one GPU, or running each program on their respective GPU?