Gainward GTX970 build

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
matitaccia
Hardware configuration: CPU: i5 4670@3.40GHz
Mainboard: ASUS TUF Gryphon Z87
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Red 1'000GB
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Re: Gainward GTX970 build

Post by matitaccia »

Dear all,

I have indeed double checked and the passkey was not properly configured. After that PPD has gone up to 300k as forecasted.

Thanks to all and sorry for the waste of time.

P.S.
I only need to understand of to get remote desktop access to this computer which is running ubuntu 18.04. The solution I have tried until now kind of hangs. It get connected to the computer, but the menu, wich should ask for usernamene and password is completely empty (no field description, no writings on the buttons). It is not working. Should I try VNC instead then?

Sustain scientific research with the power of you computer. Join the Swiss Folding Team!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

You didn't mention what you had tried for remote access, there are some methods that are not known to work well. VNC should work. Or you can install just the FAHControl portion of the folding software on another system running Windows, Linux or OS X and use that to remotely control the client on this system. With appropriate settings configured on both systems this will work.

P.S. I checked your stats, your passkey use is showing up. Once you have completed and returned 10 WU's with the passkey you will get the bonus points on all future WU's as long as you maintain an 80% return rate.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
matitaccia
Hardware configuration: CPU: i5 4670@3.40GHz
Mainboard: ASUS TUF Gryphon Z87
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8GB
HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Red 1'000GB
GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060

Post by matitaccia »

I have managed to access the ubuntu computer via VNC. I believe that what I was missing was the following command:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.Vino require-encryption false
as described in the following webpage: https://www.howtoforge.com/configure-re ... tu-desktop.

Now I have another question. The idea about this computer is to donate it to a friend of mine, who has a place where it could be running. Still, in order to spare room in his office, it should be headless. This is why it is so important to have a working remote desktop. So the issue is the following one: VNC is not working while no user is logged in. So, how to configure the computer the first time we will get it to my friend's office? Should I have a monitor and keyboard for the very first time? Or is there a better way to do that? I am planning to give my friend the task to control the computer, remotely yes, but still on the same network as the one of the office. This way it will not be necessary to open any ports, which may cause security issues for the company he works for.

Of course I will need to have an IP address defined before connecting the computer in my friend's office, otherwise... it could more one more step to perform once there.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

matitaccia

Sustain scientific research with the power of you computer. Join the Swiss Folding Team!
Paragon
Hardware configuration: Rig1 (Dedicated SMP): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 board, 8 GB Kingston 1333 DDR3 Ram, Seasonic S12 II 380 Watt PSU, Noctua CPU Cooler

Rig2 (Part-Time GPU): Intel Q6600, Gigabyte 965P-S3 Board, EVGA 460 GTX Graphics, 8 GB Kingston 800 DDR2 Ram, Seasonic Gold X-650 PSU, Artic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU Cooler

Post by Paragon »

I don't have much experience with VNC, but TeamViewer is working great for me with Ubuntu 18.04. It is free, and has a bunch of security settings you can enable if you feel the need (2 step authentication, approved access device lists, blacklists or white lists, etc). I have four Ubuntu machines up and running and control them with the TeamViewer client on my Android phone. You can also control them from another Linux or windows machine, or through the web portal. You will need an HDMI spoofer (monitor emulator device) to convince the machine to give you high resolution graphics remotely, or else it will look like garbage. I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Headless-Display ... +em&sr=8-3

If the only thing on the computer is folding@home, and that is it's only purpose, you can skip some of the security stuff. You still want a strong admin password on the machine to keep people from messing up settings on it, but you can set it to login automatically without a password, and disable the lock screen in Ubuntu so the system doesn't challenge remote users for a password when they just want to see the desktop (disable lock screen is in the privacy settings menu I think).

Other considerations are to make sure TeamViewer is setup to start automatically with the box (under the Extras menu).

https://www.teamviewer.com/en-us/download/linux/
antropofob

Post by antropofob »

VNC is not encrypted so do not use it outside local network.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Teamviewer has an annoying tendency to decide unilaterally that you're using it for commercial purposes and lock your account.
single 1070

Paragon
Hardware configuration: Rig1 (Dedicated SMP): AMD Phenom II X6 1100T, Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3 board, 8 GB Kingston 1333 DDR3 Ram, Seasonic S12 II 380 Watt PSU, Noctua CPU Cooler

Rig2 (Part-Time GPU): Intel Q6600, Gigabyte 965P-S3 Board, EVGA 460 GTX Graphics, 8 GB Kingston 800 DDR2 Ram, Seasonic Gold X-650 PSU, Artic Cooling Freezer 7 CPU Cooler

Post by Paragon »

I have not had that happen...that would be super annoying. I just keep getting the popups saying "this software is only free for personal use, thanks for playing fair" and whatnot. Is there some number of machines or number of times you use it that triggers them to lock you out?