notfred: How to take a proper backup and resume it?

This forum contains information about 3rd party applications which may be of use to those who run the FAH client and one place where you might be able to get help when using one of those apps.

Moderator: Site Moderators

torswin

notfred: How to take a proper backup and resume it?

Post by torswin »

Hello

I must shut down my computer for the night and I wondered how I then resume it afterwards? My uncle came on an unannounced visit and are staying over for the night so I have to shut down the computer (which is running notfred because of a defect harddrive).

I know that I can go to the local IP to the computer and download a tarball with backup, but I don't know how to restore it afterwards.

And is it possible to run notfred from a 512 MiB USB-stick?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: notfred: How to take a proper backup and resume it?

Post by 7im »

You should ask notfred in his home forum. He doesn't visit this forum.
torswin

Post by torswin »

But surely there are users of notfred here that knows how it's done?

I'll head over there anyway.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Maybe. You can wait around here a while longer if you want... ;)

Just pointing out where you can get the best and quickest answers. If the best answer for this was in the FAQs or WIKI, I would point you to those locations. notfred's forum just happens to be the best place to find an answer, that's all.
theMASS
Hardware configuration: 8 - Q6600s (mixed steppings) average clock speed 3.3GHz
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)
P35 and G33 based Gigabyte motherboards
Dedicated boxes run Notfred's Linux
Production boxes run Vista and XP Pro with Linux SMP running in a VM

Post by theMASS »

torswin wrote:Hello

I must shut down my computer for the night and I wondered how I then resume it afterwards? My uncle came on an unannounced visit and are staying over for the night so I have to shut down the computer (which is running notfred because of a defect harddrive).

I know that I can go to the local IP to the computer and download a tarball with backup, but I don't know how to restore it afterwards.

And is it possible to run notfred from a 512 MiB USB-stick?
If you download the .tar file to another computer, you can then untar it and copy it to a USB stick. Place the USB stick in the original machine when booting from CD and it will pickup the WU from the USB stick.

You could also just put the USB stick in the machine you want to backup and it will automatically write the backup to the USB stick.

512MB will work to run AND store backups on but I would recommend 1GB.

As a general rule it's a good idea to leave a USB stick in a notfred box unless you go the full "diskless" route and have backups written over the network via TFTP.

Also the new version of notfred's suite has the ability to write backups to a local hard drive if run in a VM.
torswin

Post by torswin »

Is it very high chance of running out of space with only a 512 MiB stick? Don't think I can afford a new one at the moment.
theMASS
1 - E6420 @ 3.2GHz (This box is bulletproof - Stable for over a year) Avg 2250/PPD
1 - E6600 @ Stock (The only Intel chip in the last 2 years that "only" ran stock)

Post by theMASS »

torswin wrote:
Is it very high chance of running out of space with only a 512 MiB stick? Don't think I can afford a new one at the moment.
It should be fine. I have one 256MB and it runs for weeks. They just fill up with stuff that doesn't get deleted as it should.

Just to be safe make a backup over the network too.

Make sure you format the the drive as FAT. Most people recommend using the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool can be downloaded here: (or google for your favorite download site) http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/f ... ption.html

Other's report that the built in Windows format tool works fine but I use the HP Tool.
torswin

Post by torswin »

Thank you for your suggestion for formatting tool, but I'm running OpenSUSE 11 and I don't bother to run it through WINE so I used fdisk to format it to FAT32. I will test it tomorrow.

Why does it get filled up? Is it the work units or the backup(s)?
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

torswin wrote:Thank you for your suggestion for formatting tool, but I'm running OpenSUSE 11 and I don't bother to run it through WINE so I used fdisk to format it to FAT32. I will test it tomorrow.

Why does it get filled up? Is it the work units or the backup(s)?
It gets filled up as the number of undeleted WUs build up.

I'm confused at your configuration, notfred is basically a stand alone option unless you're running the ISO in a VM.

For some reason FAT32 doesn't always work. I would go with FAT especially with 256MB. YMMV
torswin

Post by torswin »

I'm sitting on my laptop at the moment. It doesn't have enough cooling to be able to run FAH. My desktop computer's hard drive died, and instead of it just standing there off-line I thought that it could run notfred's disk less folding while I wait for my new hard drive to arrive. It is standing in the library/guest room and we had an unannounced visit from my uncle who were going to sleep over and therefore I had to turn off the computer.

I didn't get the backup to work properly so I had to ditch the work that was being done. Now I'm running from a 512 MiB USB and hopefully that will work great. It's just a few days that I have to run in disk less mode.

Hope this helps :)
theMASS

Post by theMASS »

torswin wrote:I'm sitting on my laptop at the moment. It doesn't have enough cooling to be able to run FAH. My desktop computer's hard drive died, and instead of it just standing there off-line I thought that it could run notfred's disk less folding while I wait for my new hard drive to arrive. It is standing in the library/guest room and we had an unannounced visit from my uncle who were going to sleep over and therefore I had to turn off the computer.

I didn't get the backup to work properly so I had to ditch the work that was being done. Now I'm running from a 512 MiB USB and hopefully that will work great. It's just a few days that I have to run in disk less mode.

Hope this helps :)
I was just curious... and now I know :)
AL2000
Hardware configuration: 1: Vista 64 - Q9450 @ 3.45 G + GTX 285 @ stock ( 3 CPU client + 1 GPU client)
2: Fedora 10 - E7400 @ 3 G - P5Q-VM
3: PS3

Post by AL2000 »

I have install Notfreds in VMWare player today on a Vista 64 bits machine and all seem to run perfect.

I had to stop the client and when i restarted it, i lost nothing. It continue to fold where it was before.

I follow this thread: http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net- ... are-w.html
1: Vista 64 - Q9450 @ 3.45 G + GTX 285 @ stock ( 3 CPU client + 1 GPU client)
2: Fedora 10 - E7400 @ 3.2 G - P5Q-VM
3: PS3