The website design confused me and I'm a web developer.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

itstime

The website design confused me and I'm a web developer.

Post by itstime »

Hi, this is an observation to help you increase the amount of people running Folding@Home.

I'm jumping back into the pool after many years to help with the COVID-19 effort. I quickly arrived to the site ready to download and run as quick as possible.

I saw an animation which made me think the download had started already somehow. I thought it was some super advanced folding@home web skills at work, and clicked to another tab. I bounced out to another website because I thought I had clicked all of the available buttons. Here is the animation that confused me, it's the loading bar:

I would like to posit that you are losing some non-zero percentage of potential new folders with this current design. The site looks great otherwise, I'm just drawing your attention to it in an effort to help. I'm not suggesting that I could produce a better looking website.

If I'm honest I like to think that perhaps this post will change history by bringing in that extra 0.0001% compute that will defeat COVID-19 and thereby save millions of lives.
Last edited by itstime on Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: The website design confused me and I'm a web developer.

Post by toTOW »

Sorry, but we can't see your image ... :(

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
artoar_11
Hardware configuration: AMD R7 3700X @ 4.0 GHz; ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING; DDR4 2x8GB @ 3.0 GHz; GByte RTX 3060 Ti @ 1890 MHz; Fortron-550W 80+ bronze; Win10 Pro/64

Post by artoar_11 »

itstime wrote:Hi, this is an observation to help you increase the amount of people running Folding@Home.

I'm jumping back into the pool after many years to help with the COVID-19 effort. I quickly arrived to the site ready to download and run as quick as possible.

I saw an animation which made me think the download had started already somehow. I thought it was some super advanced folding@home web skills at work, and clicked to another tab. I bounced out to another website because I thought I had clicked all of the available buttons. Here is the animation that confused me, it's the loading bar:

I would like to posit that you are losing some non-zero percentage of potential new folders with this current design. The site looks great otherwise, I'm just drawing your attention to it in an effort to help. I'm not suggesting that I could produce a better looking website.

If I'm honest I like to think that perhaps this post will change history by bringing in that extra 0.0001% compute that will defeat COVID-19 and thereby save millions of lives.
I corrected the link error. The link was given to the page, not the picture :wink:
itstime

Post by itstime »

*washes hands* *facepalm*

Fixed now, sorry about that. I didn't say I was a good web developer.