Wuhan Corona Virus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bruce

Re: Wuhan Corona Virus

Post by bruce »

Not yet. More details will follow.
wuffy68
Hardware configuration: 1x nVidia 1080Ti, 1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060, 1x nVidia 750Ti, AMD Radeon R7 M460

Post by wuffy68 »

This is AWESOME ... talk about quick response. Thank you Drs. Chodera and Bowman for getting our community in front of the Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis!
(2019-nCoV)
1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060 3g,
1x nVidia 970, 2x nVidia 960,
1x nVidia 555, 1x AMD R7, 2x AMD 295,
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

JonazzDJ wrote:Great news! Is there any way we can directly fold the Corona projects? Normally I'm all for general science, but this seems like an exception.
Not yet, the announcement came a bit in advance, the projects are still being prepared.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
verlyol
Hardware configuration: system 1: AMD FX6300 on Ubuntu 17.04 LTS

Post by verlyol »

Good news !
I do not think it will be possible to directly fold the WU dedicated to the coronavirus ...Maybe it will be possible to choose the type of cause via the V7 client ?

I dedicate my participation to my grandmother died in 1992 because of Parkinson's disease
and to my friend Benoit died of leukemia February 18 2012 ...he was 40 years old.
wuffy68
Hardware configuration: 1x nVidia 1080Ti, 1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060, 1x nVidia 750Ti, AMD Radeon R7 M460

Post by wuffy68 »

The project is still in beta testing. ETA for full Folding@home is within a week according to Dr. Chodera .... it will utilize core22 GPU type work units on 7.4.1. Users will likely not be able to select COVID-19 projects specifically ... they will be distributed by priority under the "Any Disease" category. One thing I've noticed about this upcoming project - it has brought out many people to proclaim they ONLY want to fold if it's to help find a vaccine for the corona virus. The question in my mind arises - what's wrong with helping Cancer, Alzhemer's and ebola research concurrently? :-\
1x nVidia 1070, 1x nVidia 1060 3g,
1x nVidia 970, 2x nVidia 960,
1x nVidia 555, 1x AMD R7, 2x AMD 295,
6x i5 CPU-only rigs
JimF

Post by JimF »

wuffy68 wrote:One thing I've noticed about this upcoming project - it has brought out many people to proclaim they ONLY want to fold if it's to help find a vaccine for the corona virus. The question in my mind arises - what's wrong with helping Cancer, Alzhemer's and ebola research concurrently? :-\
Providing a special category for corona virus is probably OK for PR purposes, but I doubt will get it done any faster. FAH will put the highest priority on it anyway.
But it might help attract more crunchers, which is probably why they would even consider offering a special category.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

wuffy68 wrote:The project is still in beta testing. ETA for full Folding@home is within a week according to Dr. Chodera .... it will utilize core22 GPU type work units on 7.4.1. Users will likely not be able to select COVID-19 projects specifically ... they will be distributed by priority under the "Any Disease" category.
I'd be curious to know where you got those false informations from ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Seti@home closes its doors, so maybe some may join foldingAgainstCorona@home

Both were announced on german most popular IT news website.
JimF

Post by JimF »

foldy wrote:Seti@home closes its doors, so maybe some may join foldingAgainstCorona@home
Just in the nick of time. It was announced on the BOINC forum too.
undulator

Post by undulator »

wuffy68 wrote:it has brought out many people to proclaim they ONLY want to fold if it's to help find a vaccine for the corona virus.

Code: Select all

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/europe/coronavirus-fighting-the-virus-and-an-infodemic-germany-encounters-a-new-nervousness
"It is likely that 60 to 70 per cent of the [any country] population will become infected, but we do not know in what time," Prof Drosten. "This may well take two years or even longer."

If it will affect 60-70% of the population of every country with high amounts of travellers within the next 2 years, multiplied with the population of all major countries and a very optimistic death rate of 0.5% you might realize pretty fast this is a very pressing issue
wuffy68 wrote:The question in my mind arises - what's wrong with helping Cancer, Alzhemer's and ebola research concurrently? :-\
The question arises why you would even imply that these people don't care about cancer? :eo

Code: Select all

https://www.businessinsider.de/international/wuhan-coronavirus-mild-pandemic-how-it-could-end-2020-2/
Can we like prioritize and do the math here before we run out of hospital space for the people being affected within the next 2 years?
It is very likely that it will become a new permanent disease until we have a vaccine. Nobody ever said they don't want to research cancer, big implication on your end.
IWH

2019-nCoV

Post by IWH »

On a side note, is there a way to specifically work only on the 2019-nCoV folding? I think that would be a good option to have if one can't.
bruce

Re: 2019-nCoV

Post by bruce »

Unfortunately, the options are hard-coded in the client and releasing a new client is a big deal for Development. The only real choice is "any" and the servers will set the priorities.
jdelisle

Post by jdelisle »

bruce wrote:Unfortunately, the options are hard-coded in the client and releasing a new client is a big deal for Development. The only real choice is "other" and the servers will set the priorities.
Given the urgency and global impact, isn't that effort warranted?

Frankly, not being able to focus cycles on coronavirus would dissuade me from running it. I'm very new here, and am posting a thread shortly with questions regarding corporate participation in this effort. Being able to focus on coronavirus is a must.
jlpicard2

Post by jlpicard2 »

How does one choose "other"? I see choices of Any Disease, Alzheimer’s, Cancer, Huntington’s, and Parkinson’s. With those choices, is looks like you have to choose "Any Disease" to have any chance of working on 2019-nCoV.
jonault

Post by jonault »

"Any" is the setting that will give you the best chance for getting a nCoV work unit when they start showing up (afaik, there haven't been any yet). It's not impossible that you'd get one with the other settings, but the odds would be lower.