Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: 2019-nCoV

Post by Joe_H »

jdelisle wrote:
bruce wrote:Unfortunately, the options are hard-coded in the client and releasing a new client is a big deal for Development. The only real choice is "other" and the servers will set the priorities.
Given the urgency and global impact, isn't that effort warranted?

Frankly, not being able to focus cycles on coronavirus would dissuade me from running it. I'm very new here, and am posting a thread shortly with questions regarding corporate participation in this effort. Being able to focus on coronavirus is a must.
F@h has limited developer resources, most work on the client and server code is done by a single paid programmer. He also did the work to provide the most recent updated CPU folding core. It can be difficult to get grant funds that can be used to pay developers.

Development work on the GPU folding core is being handled mostly by grad students and post-docs as I understand it.

As for priority, on the server side they can set the projects for coronavirus with a higher priority. As long as WU's are available to assign, those would go first. Other projects would only be assigned if the higher priority projects were currently out of WU's.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
EcipCH

Re: Wuhan Corona Virus

Post by EcipCH »

I'm excited about this. Will definitely contribute my PC for this project.

As I understand it, it will mainly use GPU for WU, correct?

Lets get this thing rolling.
csgc

Post by csgc »

Any news on updated project ids? Or even a title?
JimF

Post by JimF »

EcipCH wrote:As I understand it, it will mainly use GPU for WU, correct?
By default, it will try to use both your CPU and GPU. You can then delete one type of "slot" if you don't want it.
I usually just do GPU, but if they have CPU Coronavirus work, I have a Ryzen 3700x that works very well on the CPU ones.

EDIT: That is on Windows. A peculiarity of the Linux version is that it blocks GPU work by default.
You then have to delete "gpu false" in Extra Client Options, followed by a reboot (or two) to download the GPU list before it will work.
I am not sure how many crunchers they have lost that way, but it probably accounts for a lot of the bad reputation their client gets on the BOINC sites.

EDIT 2: And you will probably have to set the "open-cl index" (in the slot configuration) to "0" at least once, followed by a reboot or two.
It is another of their curiosities. The automatic detection usually doesn't work right. I have gotten used to it by now.
EcipCH

Post by EcipCH »

JimF wrote:
EcipCH wrote:As I understand it, it will mainly use GPU for WU, correct?
By default, it will try to use both your CPU and GPU. You can then delete one type of "slot" if you don't want it.
I usually just do GPU, but if they have CPU Coronavirus work, I have a Ryzen 3700x that works very well on the CPU ones.

EDIT: That is on Windows. A peculiarity of the Linux version is that it blocks GPU work by default.
You then have to delete "gpu false" in Extra Client Options, followed by a reboot (or two) to download the GPU list before it will work.
I am not sure how many crunchers they have lost that way, but it probably accounts for a lot of the bad reputation their client gets on the BOINC sites.

EDIT 2: And you will probably have to set the "open-cl index" (in the slot configuration) to "0" at least once, followed by a reboot or two.
It is another of their curiosities. The automatic detection usually doesn't work right. I have gotten used to it by now.
Yea, I'm using Windows, and have a 3800X standing by to crunch. In the meantime I've usually got it running some WU with BOINC over night or when I'm not using the Computer.
Currently the GPU is doing some occasional folding here.
random_player

Post by random_player »

Where are the covid 19 projects? I looked at all projects in the active list and didn't see anything related to Covid, ncov, ace2, sars, etc. The project list is here: apps<dot>foldingathome<dot>org/psummary
JimF

Post by JimF »

EcipCH wrote:Yea, I'm using Windows, and have a 3800X standing by to crunch.
That should work well.

In Linux, there is one more hoop to jump through: you have to join the "root" group:
sudo adduser USERNAME root

Or at least you used to have to do that with the previous client. I normally do it anyway, and don't specifically check it for FAH.
It is a wonder that any new users come onboard.
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

random_player wrote:Where are the covid 19 projects? I looked at all projects in the active list and didn't see anything related to Covid, ncov, ace2, sars, etc. The project list is here: apps<dot>foldingathome<dot>org/psummary
I had came to the same conclusion as you did, and even posed the question to Dr. Bowman on twitter yet no response till this date:
twitter[dot]com/PieterrB/status/1235467582657957895

I'm surely no scientist or alike yet reading up the blog post folding foldingathome[dot]org/2020/02/27/foldinghome-takes-up-the-fight-against-covid-19-2019-ncov/ the following paragraph did draw my attention:

Code: Select all

Given this information, we are uniquely positioned to help model the structure of the 2019-nCoV spike protein and identify sites that can be targeted by a therapeutic antibody. We can build computational models that accomplish this goal, but it takes a lot of computing power.
This leads me to conclude that there aren't any Covid-19 project defined yet, though it *can* be done. I don't like to speculate here yet this lack of clear information about the actual availability of such projects just feels to me as if we've been seeing Folding@home in many news articles simply for the sake of getting new members on board. Ultimately, if so happens to be some scientists build those computational models related to Covid-19 then Folding@home has demonstrated their willingness to let them be analyzed by the resources every humble FAH member is offering to the community.
zexmaxwell

Post by zexmaxwell »

Soon™
My room is always Hot.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Due to the number of question on the subject, I'm posting early informations : the projects are in internal testing and will have project numbers from 11741 to 11746.

The researcher who is running this will make the usual official announcements as soon as they are ready to move to beta/adv/fah with all the details to be able to fold them.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
bruce

Post by bruce »

A model of the COVID19 was constructed and tested against one or more existing anti-virus in a project that wasn't opened to the public. Not surprisingly, that/those antibodies didn't bind to the spike. The search has begun to find new and different antibodies to be tested against the spike model.
bruce

Post by bruce »

There are several projects that are currently being set up which will be available for beta testing soon™. ("Soon" is an overused but undefined word a FAH) ;)

It looks like they will all be GPU projects using FAHCore_22. If you are left with unused CPU processing capacity, that can be devoted to other FAH projects.
JimF

Post by JimF »

Thanks. That is my normal mode of operation, but it simplifies things a bit to know it.

Everyone wants to help, which is fine, but I am almost amused that they think they need to tell FAH to make a priority of it.
It is more or less the same thing in Rosetta, the only other project I know that has anything on it.
zexmaxwell

Post by zexmaxwell »

JimF wrote: Everyone wants to help, which is fine, but I am almost amused that they think they need to tell FAH to make a priority of it.
I understand everyone wants to help with just the COVID19 projects. but Its just a good idea in general just to fire up F@H and Just go to town on current projects. because once the COVID19 projects get dropped onto the servers. everything else will be put on hold or end up second in line due to relevancy. yeah, its a lot of electricity to do everything before important relevant projects. but the WU you are doing now will have long term advantages once we kill COVID19.
My room is always Hot.
bruce

Post by bruce »

It's also unfortunate that one of the FAH Campuses needed electrical work that forced the shutdown of a couple of critical servers while everybody is trying to join FAH.:D

Murphy strikes again.