Wuhan Corona Virus / COVID-19 / SARS-CoV-2

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jonazz

Re: Wuhan Corona Virus

Post by Jonazz »

I've been folding the first COVID-19 projects today!
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Thibaultmol wrote:
Denisok wrote:There are four CPU projects. Two of them are up and running. Another two ones are available in Advanced mode. I've already crunched dozen of CPU tasks.
What are the project numbers for the cpu WU's?
Here are the official announcements :
New COVID-related (CPU, A7) Projects (14530/14531) on FAH
New COVID-(CPU, A7) Projects (14328/14329) on ADVANCED/FAH

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
cube1us

Post by cube1us »

I have yet to see any of those projects hit. It makes me very much doubt the veracity of the words "priority" used in these announcements. It feels like I have been scammed (yes, I know that at least the cycles are going towards something worthwhile, but if this isn't doing nCOV19 work, I'd rather give the cycles to BOIC. I will give it a couple of days, but if I don't see any, I'll put FAHClient back to sleep.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

cube1us wrote:I'd rather give the cycles to BOIC.
https://boinc.bakerlab.org/
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

I've already folded several COVID-19 projects. In between I've also folded a very interesting antibiotic resistance WU.
bruce

Post by bruce »

cube1us wrote:I have yet to see any of those projects hit. It makes me very much doubt the veracity of the words "priority" used in these announcements. It feels like I have been scammed (yes, I know that at least the cycles are going towards something worthwhile, but if this isn't doing nCOV19 work, I'd rather give the cycles to BOIC. I will give it a couple of days, but if I don't see any, I'll put FAHClient back to sleep.
if you choose to donate to BOINC, please do so, but don't come here just to badmouth FAH. If you want to support what we're doing, please do.

According to the records I can see, you've completed at least two WUs. One for project 11741 and one for project 14198.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/project.py?p=11741 That's for COVAID-19
https://apps.foldingathome.org/project.py?p=14198 That's for Cancer

I suspect that the cancer project has been replaced by a Corona Virus program, but the public records won't show that until you finish it.
-J-

Post by -J- »

Hi all

Downloaded the client yesterday, and my computer has been crunching WU's ever since.

As far I can see none of the WUs are releated to the Corona projects?! Is there some way I can force the client to only select Corona related projects?

Br -J-
cube1us

Post by cube1us »

bruce wrote:
cube1us wrote:I have yet to see any of those projects hit. It makes me very much doubt the veracity of the words "priority" used in these announcements. It feels like I have been scammed (yes, I know that at least the cycles are going towards something worthwhile, but if this isn't doing nCOV19 work, I'd rather give the cycles to BOIC. I will give it a couple of days, but if I don't see any, I'll put FAHClient back to sleep.
if you choose to donate to BOINC, please do so, but don't come here just to badmouth FAH. If you want to support what we're doing, please do.

According to the records I can see, you've completed at least two WUs. One for project 11741 and one for project 14198.

https://apps.foldingathome.org/project.py?p=11741 That's for COVAID-19
https://apps.foldingathome.org/project.py?p=14198 That's for Cancer

I suspect that the cancer project has been replaced by a Corona Virus program, but the public records won't show that until you finish it.
The comment hit a little too close to home, maybe? Yeesh. I created my post as a question to try and figure out what was going on - and it looks like others have had a similar experience of the past couple of weeks. I don't see how my post was a "badmouth" other than to state that felt scammed because at the TIME OF MY POST I had NOT seen *ANY* WUs for COVID-19. This had been my *second* attempt to see WUs related to COVID-19 - the first time, a week ago, I ran FAHClient for a couple of days and I was not seeing any WUs related to COVID-19 at all.

Since this post I have indeed seen four WUs related to COVID-19.

Then again, the last two WUs I have seen are not related to COVID-19 - there seem to be a couple of servers which are not assigning me WUs for some reason. I have both CPU and GPU capacity available, but at this point it can't seem to assign me any GPU WUs. Once my current WU finishes, I'll restart to see if that clears things up.

[Side note: Unfortunately the logs don't seem to "flush" so since the FAHClient is still running, the logs on disk have not been updated as far as I can tell, and the web page to get stats keeps responding with "Bad Gateway" in one form or another. So, in order to tell what WUs I have processed I have to "copy" the log, and then paste it into an editor, or download a bz2 file
and un-compress it to tell. That is pretty annoying. ]
bruce

Post by bruce »

I apologize. I suppose I'm a bit too sensitive to "if I can't get what I want, I'm going somewhere else" ... when we're really trying do do everything we can got facilitate the scientific research. We're all a bit stressed.

After I answered the same question maybe 20 times this morning, I finally posted an announcement and just linked to it. (Should have thought of that sooner.)
Subject: Temporary server outages

I really wish people would read before posting.
cube1us

Post by cube1us »

bruce wrote: After I answered the same question maybe 20 times this morning, I finally posted an announcement and just linked to it. (Should have thought of that sooner.)
Subject: Temporary server outages
That's a high quality problem. ;)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yep. It's a good problem to have ... except when we don't have enough people to keep up. Ditto for having enough servers.

This is a volunteer-staffed forum. It'll take a while to reply to all the newbies and a few of them may volunteer to answer the questions that they have figured out the answers to.
X-Wing

Post by X-Wing »

Maybe some of these cloud service providers, since they're already donating a bunch of time and resources, would be willing to take some of those racks off of folding WUs and spin up some high-throughput back-end servers. Maybe not to assign, but to generate/assimilate new WUs/handle the websites, etc.
Rig: i3-8350K, GTX 1660Ti, GTX 750Ti, 16GB DRR4-3000MHz.
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

X-Wing wrote:Maybe some of these cloud service providers, since they're already donating a bunch of time and resources, would be willing to take some of those racks off of folding WUs and spin up some high-throughput back-end servers. Maybe not to assign, but to generate/assimilate new WUs/handle the websites, etc.
In all honesty, I would not have allowed potentially 6000 GPU's to hit the project until I had ensured I would have enough work for them or demand that they also donate dedicated servers just for their GPU.
single 1070

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

It was working pretty well until nVidia tweeted ... :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
jonault

Post by jonault »

I don't think some of the folks here appreciate just how fast the number of folders is increasing.

About a month ago, I looked at EOC to see how many people were actively folding (based on how many had earned at least one point in the last 7 days). IIRC, it was a bit over 7100 folders.

Late this morning when I checked the same number it was just over 18000. That's over 2.5x as many people folding in just a few weeks.

And when I looked again just now, it was over 20000. That's almost a 10% increase in less than 8 hours. :shock: (I forgot that EOC updates every 3 hours, so I was probably looking at the 9am & 3pm numbers, meaning an increase of 2000 folders in 6 hours.)

Edited to add: after the 6pm update, it's over 22600, so another 1500 or so joined in 3 hours.

Edited again: and after the 9pm update, it's up to 24601, adding another 2000. So in 12 hours we picked up about 6500 folders (up over 33%!), an amount almost equal to the total number of folders we had at the beginning of February.
Last edited by jonault on Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.