GPUs only getting benchmark WUs?

If you think it might be a driver problem, see viewforum.php?f=79

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Burstaholic

GPUs only getting benchmark WUs?

Post by Burstaholic »

Thought I'd start contributing with a couple of computers, and while the CPU jobs are going as expected, I noticed both machines GPUs are only running project 11737, which appears to be a test project for validating the latest version of FAH's GPU core. Both machines have worked through several of these WUs over the past couple of days, so I thought I would ask if this is expected, or should I change any settings to get actual science work units?

I'm happy to contribute to project testing, as long as that's not all I ever get assigned :)

For reference, the two machines are an ancient GTX 760 and a new RX 5700.

Thanks!
bruce

Re: GPUs only getting benchmark WUs?

Post by bruce »

GPUs are generally much more powerful that CPUs so FAH has chosen to develop projects for GPUs. Those projects are currently being beta-tested and will be distributed more widely soon. If projects are developed for CPUs, that may follow but FAH's development of new resources moves slowly based on limited staff and limited funds. Give them more time.

Subject: CORONAVIRUS PROJECTS coming to BETA
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

You should get Corona projects to public now. And disable beta flag if set.
Burstaholic

Post by Burstaholic »

Sounds like I just hit a transition period where all current GPU projects were in beta - transitioning to the new core 22 I guess? Anyway, you were correct and both machines are now happily churning out SARS-COV-2 work units, so all's well :)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Given the speed with which everything is progressing, transition periods are happening faster than we can document them. :D
LumielGR

Post by LumielGR »

Since many people still have this issue, is it normal to wait for the 11737 work units to complete? Or do we need to do something to stop picking up these work units ?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

No you can't, but due to the high demand, the server is hardly keeping up. So you might sometimes see slow transfers to/from it, or even WUs for other researches that still need to be done.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
LumielGR

Post by LumielGR »

toTOW wrote:No you can't, but due to the high demand, the server is hardly keeping up. So you might sometimes see slow transfers to/from it, or even WUs for other researches that still need to be done.
Sorry but I'm more confused now :) If the server can't keep up is there a point to work on these benchmark WUs? or should we just stop folding until the server catches up? I've already completed 2 WUs for 11737 and now my GPU is working on a third. Maybe it's because of the GPU? (5700xt). I've read in another post that the shaders are not yet deployed for these cards?
rafwiewiora
Scientist

Post by rafwiewiora »

11737 is gone now folks, I've spun up another server, only coronavirus being sent now.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

You posted while I was typing my answer ! :D

Great news ! :)

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
LumielGR

Post by LumielGR »

Thanks, it works fine now :)
GamerTrav

Post by GamerTrav »

rafwiewiora wrote:11737 is gone now folks, I've spun up another server, only coronavirus being sent now.
Doesn't appear to be completely gone, I was just assigned 11737 from the plfah2-1 server, to be collected by the plfah1-1 server.
alxbelu

Post by alxbelu »

"11737 is gone now folks, I've spun up another server, only coronavirus being sent now."

Actually my (equally ancient r9 290x) GPU was just assigned the 11737 project; is it still the benchmark or is it actually something useful? (My RTX2060 laptop only seems to get normal GPU WUs, but I understand that there should be some form of priority to send important work to more capable systems)
Official F@H Twitter (frequently updated): https://twitter.com/foldingathome
Official F@H Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Foldinghome-136059519794607/

(I'm not affiliated with the F@H Team, just promoting these channels for official updates)