Urgent: Reject Project Button

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

msp86

Urgent: Reject Project Button

Post by msp86 »

The Folding Client desperately needs a reject-Project-Button: e.g. a project with an ETA of 5 days is just not feasible (less in a timeframe of 6 days), now it blocks my GPU for any reasonable project for another 6 days.
petnek
Hardware configuration: Asus 990FX Sabertooth, CPU Vishera FX-8350 not OC (Gelid Solution Tranquillo ), 2x4 GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz (Kingston Blu), GPU Gigabyte HD6770, HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 - 500GB + Samsung Spinpoint F1 320GB, FSP Raider 550W

Re: Urgent: Reject Project Button

Post by petnek »

Which GPU are you using?
Isn't this estimation showing just before reaching first % of work unit?
TomJohnson
Hardware configuration: iMac Pro Xeon W 16 core, i7 3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, OS V 10.14.5, ! TB SSD
iMac i5-7500 8 core 3.4 GHz, 8 GB RAM, OS V 10.14.5, 1 TB Fusion HD
Mac Pro X5675 12 core, i7 3.06 GHz, 52 GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, 1 TB HD, Cinema 30" + 23"
Mac Pro Intel Xeon Dual Quad 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5, 512 GB HD
plus 44 more

Post by TomJohnson »

Go to Work folder then Trash current Work, Empty Trash then either Pause then Fold or Restart computer to fix this problem.
iMac 15,1 27" 5K Retina Intel i7 4.0 GHz Dual Quad 24 GB RAM 1 TB Fusion OS 10.10
Mac Pro 5,1 3.06 GHz 12 Core 52 Gig RAM OS 10.9.5 -- Plus 20 more
Akaanc

Post by Akaanc »

I wish I had work units for 5days. Its not blocking your gpu it gives you a big work unit why do you complain? We are waiting for work units here..
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

F@H tries real hard to prevent cherry picking.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
msp86

Post by msp86 »

TomJohnson wrote:Go to Work folder then Trash current Work, Empty Trash then either Pause then Fold or Restart computer to fix this problem.
Thanks, it worked! Now I can contribute again.
zexmaxwell

Post by zexmaxwell »

under no circumstances you should be dumping your WU. because the server is expecting you to complete the WU since it was assigned to you. the client will tell you the ETA of the project, you just need to let it run for a few %s so it can grasp the ETA. most work units shouldn't take more then a day.

If you need your hardware, you can always pause the WU.

there is lots of people that are here to help the researchers. if a person is just going to sit in queue only to dump their task, then frankly you shouldn't be folding. since that WU could have gone to someone else that would have finished it for the researcher.
My room is always Hot.
msp86

Post by msp86 »

That's the point! It won't finish under any circumstance with an ETA of five days! That's wasted folding power!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

msp86 wrote:That's the point! It won't finish under any circumstance with an ETA of five days!
How long did you let it run? You never mentioned that, or what project it was from, or what hardware you were running it on. The estimation in the client will not be accurate until you have completed a percent or two on a project your system has not worked on before. It does keep some information about previous WU's from a project, estimates for run time of a WU from a previously processed project will be more accurate, sooner.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
DustoMan

Post by DustoMan »

Joe_H wrote:
msp86 wrote:That's the point! It won't finish under any circumstance with an ETA of five days!
How long did you let it run? You never mentioned that, or what project it was from, or what hardware you were running it on. The estimation in the client will not be accurate until you have completed a percent or two on a project your system has not worked on before. It does keep some information about previous WU's from a project, estimates for run time of a WU from a previously processed project will be more accurate, sooner.
I second this, there's no hardware configuration that is going to have one project take 5 days to complete and another project on the same hardware takes a significant amount of time less than that. I'm thinking you didn't let the WU run long enough to get an accurate ETA. Which then means you dumped a WU for NOTHING. DO NOT TRASH OR SHUT OFF a work unit that you don't have the intention of finishing. When you want to take a long break from folding, hit Finish and let the current WUs complete.

As to your request for a "Reject" button, this software has been running for years, if it was felt there's a need for such a button it would be there already. But it not because they don't want people playing favorites and gaming the system.
msp86

Post by msp86 »

DustoMan wrote:
Joe_H wrote:
I second this, there's no hardware configuration that is going to have one project take 5 days to complete and another project on the same hardware takes a significant amount of time less than that. I'm thinking you didn't let the WU run long enough to get an accurate ETA. Which then means you dumped a WU for NOTHING. DO NOT TRASH OR SHUT OFF a work unit that you don't have the intention of finishing. When you want to take a long break from folding, hit Finish and let the current WUs complete.

As to your request for a "Reject" button, this software has been running for years, if it was felt there's a need for such a button it would be there already. But it not because they don't want people playing favorites and gaming the system.
As for the project, I didn't note it down. im running an radeon rx 580. And it ran about half an hour and was at 0.12%. About... you get the idea.
msp86

Post by msp86 »

Me saying a researcher that makes 5 day work units should be dumped from the project.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

And that would still be an inaccurate estimate of the progress.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
_r2w_ben

Post by _r2w_ben »

On rare occasions, work units do get generated with the wrong number of steps.

Please report them in the Issues with a Specific Work Unit forum when this happens.

Also, pay attention to the Timeout date shown in FAHControl to get an idea of whether your machine will finish in time. Some projects have larger work units that take longer.
rhavern

Post by rhavern »

Until the first percent of the WU is completed, the client is guessing at how long each frame will take based on available data. Even then, the first percent is usually the slowest, but times can vary between frames throughout the work unit. Patience grasshopper. :-)
Folding since 1 WU=1 point
ImageImage