How can I give points earned as Default to my team?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

tirreus

How can I give points earned as Default to my team?

Post by tirreus »

Hi, when setting up my ID, I did not specidied any team first. Later I decided to join one team. I would like to give points earned wtih "Default (No team specified)" to my current team. How can I do it? Thanks for advice.
ricardom17

Re: How can I give points earned as Default to my team?

Post by ricardom17 »

That is not possible. But any new points you've earned will now go to the new team.
tirreus

Post by tirreus »

ricardom17 wrote:That is not possible. But any new points you've earned will now go to the new team.
It is a pitty. Cannot FAH developers change that in any future update? These points are lying unused.... I know they were used well, however, if team competition is side effect, why to left them unused...
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

tirreus wrote:
ricardom17 wrote:That is not possible. But any new points you've earned will now go to the new team.
It is a pitty. Cannot FAH developers change that in any future update? These points are lying unused.... I know they were used well, however, if team competition is side effect, why to left them unused...
Yeah, I see what you're saying. But the points went to the default Anonymous team, which itself is competing with very big teams. The workunits themselves are well used by the research teams.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Imagine just how much staff time shuffling points would take.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
tirreus

Post by tirreus »

JimboPalmer wrote:Imagine just how much staff time shuffling points would take.
You must be joking :) This should be possible to do under pure user control and basically instantly ;)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

tirreus wrote:
JimboPalmer wrote:Imagine just how much staff time shuffling points would take.
You must be joking :) This should be possible to do under pure user control and basically instantly ;)
Sigh, You may not have met some of the ethics challenged users, ALL the points would be in their account before the day was out.

You get to decide where your points fold. No one gets to decide where they should have folded.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

tirreus wrote:...This should be possible to do under pure user control and basically instantly ;)
Welcome to the F@H Forum tirreus,

On a small database, maybe. However, when you consider a database that is over 19 years old with millions of rows of data with hundreds of thousands of users, it will not be quick at all. Moreover, given that F@H has to work with a very limited developer resources, there are several other tasks that would be more feasible to do than points modification.

BTW, if you're wondering about stats database modification, you can have a bit of insight reading updates from EOC stats as they are only processing a portion of F@H stats, not all the stats and some issues are not at all easy to fix: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Monomeeth

Post by Monomeeth »

It is a shame though that a user who goes on to create a team (as I have done today), does not have their previous Work Units etc allocated to that team (i.e. if they were previously only allocated to the 'anonymous' team). :(

I totally get though that that shouldn't happen if they were previously allocated to a 'real' team.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Lots of things would be "nice to have", but doing it for just the purpose you propose would take the same programming time and changes to the database as doing it for everyone. As in a not inconsiderable amount of time, expense, server upgrades, and ongoing support would be involved. Now this would have to come out a research budget that allows F@h to hire one software developer, and the rest of the programming is done by some of the researchers, grad students and post-docs.

All this in an environment were it is not easy to get grant money for software development and purchasing hardware. So first they consider whether the changes will produce more science, and where they will expend the limited resources first in light of that.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Monomeeth

Post by Monomeeth »

Understood, and totally agree it wouldn't be a good use of time and resources.