Do you need help?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Do you need help?

Post by Joe_H »

mikeestacio wrote:Any updates on the infrastructure upgrade? I see all these media outlets getting more people to download the client but nothing about helping the server side.
If you look at the Server Status page you will find there a number of servers that were not there a week ago. On the large size, 2 WS's have been configured and are actively providing work, these are hosted on Azure. A third server hosted on Azure is in the process of being configured.

There may be more information on the F@h Twitter and Facebook feeds, there are links to those on the foldingathome.org main page.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mikeestacio

Post by mikeestacio »

Joe_H wrote: If you look at the Server Status page you will find there a number of servers that were not there a week ago. On the large size, 2 WS's have been configured and are actively providing work, these are hosted on Azure. A third server hosted on Azure is in the process of being configured.

There may be more information on the F@h Twitter and Facebook feeds, there are links to those on the foldingathome.org main page.
Is there a way to redirect my client to a different server? It keeps looping on the same server that doesn't have any WUs for it.
provorov

Post by provorov »

Joe_H wrote:
mikeestacio wrote:Any updates on the infrastructure upgrade? I see all these media outlets getting more people to download the client but nothing about helping the server side.
If you look at the Server Status page you will find there a number of servers that were not there a week ago. On the large size, 2 WS's have been configured and are actively providing work, these are hosted on Azure. A third server hosted on Azure is in the process of being configured
Joe_H, bruce, please send me an email to the address in my profile. We can help you with servers and resources.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

I have forwarded a link to your message and gave them the email address.

provorov

Post by provorov »

Joe_H wrote:I have forwarded a link to your message and gave them the email address.
Awesome. The same time we're helping with some computing resources. Hope to see exaFLOPS soon :)
Magnepan

Post by Magnepan »

mikeestacio wrote:
Joe_H wrote: If you look at the Server Status page you will find there a number of servers that were not there a week ago. On the large size, 2 WS's have been configured and are actively providing work, these are hosted on Azure. A third server hosted on Azure is in the process of being configured.

Is there a way to redirect my client to a different server? It keeps looping on the same server that doesn't have any WUs for it.
FWIW, my GPU has been idle for almost 24 hours, so I tried one cycle of pause/fold on my GPU slot and I got a WU from one of the new azure-hosted machines.
It's probably not recommended to do this often as it might do bad things to the backend, but I figured this was OK as a one time operation.
lazyacevw

Post by lazyacevw »

GingeraMan wrote:BTW what is the current user estimate and rough estimate of computational capacity of this thing now, in TFlops? It must be up there with big supercomputers by now...
According to some rando who updated wikipedia, as of this month, FAH is now unofficially the 2nd fastest supercomputer in the world with over 98.7 PFLOPS of processing power. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOP500 .

I'm not sure what to make of FAH statistics page https://stats.foldingathome.org/os . If I read it correctly, it currently shows 1.431 ExaFLOPS of processing power. Not sure what to think about that...
cfhdev

Post by cfhdev »

I would also be interested in helping with infrastructure and/or hardware.
sukritsingh
Scientist

Post by sukritsingh »

Hi all! If you are interested in contributing hardware or server side power to our effort, please reach out to me at sukrit.singh@wustl.edu.
Generally the minimum requirements we have for setting up a work server are:
Debian Linux machines with 8GiB RAM, 100TiB SSD storage, and 1GiB/s network.

If you think you could help out please send me an email! Thanks so much for your support and help!
sukritsingh
Scientist

Post by sukritsingh »

We are making good progress in meeting demand, and more conversations with more tech companies has an optimistic outlook for the future!
If anybody here is interested in helping out/providing experience to our efforts, please send me a DM on the forums and we can happily discuss!
sukritsingh
Scientist

Post by sukritsingh »

zabrolak wrote:Hey, I'm a sysadmin for a university faculty, I can donate resources for _server_ side. Who do I contact concerning this? (not 'one box with 100TB', but things can be arranged to look like one ;))
Hi! That kind of resource sounds incredible! Shoot me a DM on the forums and we can discuss plans further and figure out how to set up a server maybe on your end!
Thanks so much everyone for your patience and support. We are starting to finally making some headway with everything and are optimistic about progress! We really appreciate this community and literally everything y'all are waiting for as we do our best!
cfhdev

Post by cfhdev »

ari2asem wrote:i would like to donate money for hardware/infrastructure update/upgrade. but i can do that only by paypal, because i am in europe.

any option to donate by paypal??
https://gifts.wustl.edu/med/index.html? ... 1=71&sc=NG
EternalPainSkylar

Post by EternalPainSkylar »

sukritsingh wrote:Hi all! If you are interested in contributing hardware or server side power to our effort, please reach out to me at sukrit.singh@wustl.edu.
Generally the minimum requirements we have for setting up a work server are:
Debian Linux machines with 8GiB RAM, 100TiB SSD storage, and 1GiB/s network.

If you think you could help out please send me an email! Thanks so much for your support and help!
Oof. I only have 1Gb/s and can't afford that much SSD storage. A gibibyte is about 8.59 gigabits, right? Maybe I should sell my car and ask my ISP for 8 additional connections :lol:
Last edited by EternalPainSkylar on Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Connor_Horak

Post by Connor_Horak »

I folded for a while about 10 years ago and have recently started folding again.

The forum is not allowing me to post my entire log below due to length. Email me for a complete log or I can try and post the specific problems with a bit of direction from y'all.

It seems some of my projects are not sending and I am not receiving new projects. I have started a new team (243339) and I have processed twice as many Work Units but have half the points of the other team member. I have a significant leg up on him in terms of both CPU and GPU processing power. Is everything just overloaded because of COVID-19 or is there something I can do to increase my machines productivity?

Anyone seeking more information or wanting to help can reply here but I can be reached at connor.horak (at symbol) barhoilfieldservices (DOT) com much more easily. Sorry, first post, wont let me post links.

Thanks

P.S. I have a laptop I was going to start running as well, can i use my same user ID on both machines simultaneously or do I have to create a separate user ID for my other machine?
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Welcome back.

For the log you post we do not need the entire log. If you post the beginning section, about 200 lines, which shows the software, hardware, and folding setup info along with a section that shows the the problem, that is enough.

There have been some problems with the stats keeping up, a big kick was given to the server yesterday evening to get some things going again. Still may be some delay in posting. Other question is if you have a passkey entered into the client, that does affect the point.

Beyond that , yes everything is just overloaded. The request rate for WU's was less than 10,000 an hour two weeks ago, at times now the rate of sending out work can get to 100,000 an hour, there are more requests that can't be filled. They are working on more servers being available, but that takes a bit of time to get set up.

And yes, you can use the same user ID and passkey on multiple machines.