Mac OS tarball?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

msa

Mac OS tarball?

Post by msa »

Hey there,

I am on Mac OS Catalina and looking for a command-line only client. But I can’t find the tarball? There is no working link ...
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Mac OS tarball?

Post by Joe_H »

There was a tarball at one point, but it may have moved in one of the server migrations for the web site.

In the meantime the regular installer will have all you need to run it from the command line. The FAHClient part of the package is what your are looking for.

However from personal experience it is much, much easier to do this from the regular install setup. Use the Web Control or FAHControl to do the initial setup, and just leave them closed when not needed. The FAHClient process stays in the background and uses very little in CPU or other resources when folding is inactive. You can set the client to only start when you want it to, finish the current WU and then stop processing, and so on.

Perhaps if you can describe what you are trying to do just from the command line, we can give you some setup options that will accomplish that.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
jonault

Post by jonault »

Joe_H wrote:In the meantime the regular installer will have all you need to run it from the command line. The FAHClient part of the package is what your are looking for.
I was going to suggest that to him, but when I looked on my Mac I couldn't find the client program. The Folding@home folder in Applications just has FAHControl and FAHViewer. I thought maybe the client program would be embedded inside the application bundle for FAHControl but I didn't see it there.

I also looked in /Library/Application Support/FAHClient but didn't find a client program there either, just the cores.

I just recently (as in last night) started folding on the Mac again after several years of only folding on Windows, so my knowledge of the specifics of Mac folding is a bit dusty.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

FAHClient installs elsewhere, I have not looked it up recently enough to recall the path. It is easily accessed from the command line though. The problem then is getting all of the other paths good for where such things as folding cores, config file, etc belong.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
jonault

Post by jonault »

Found it - it's in /usr/local/bin.
msa

Post by msa »

Thank you for your answers. Just what I was looking for and now it works