Can't restart F@H after crash on Linux

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

octopus

Can't restart F@H after crash on Linux

Post by octopus »

I was folding successfully using the current F@H client on Linux. I ran into some internet issues, and since then haven't been able to get the client running again. I suspect a reboot would fix everything, but I'd like to be able to keep the machine on in the meantime. I may have made things worse by using

Code: Select all

ps aux | grep FAH
to kill the processes - I hadn't realized it was an init.d process. I've since properly turned the init.d process off, but it fails when I turn it on (

Code: Select all

Starting FAHClient ... FAIL
). What can I do to try and get it back on?
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Can't restart F@H after crash on Linux

Post by foldy »

Maybe you can just start it manually in a cmd shell
cd /etc/init.d/
FAHClient
bruce

Post by bruce »

I've been frustrated by the init.d script saying ...FAIL but I've also stepped through the script manually to figure out what didn't work. Whatever got corrupted probably needs to be fixed but no clues are evident, at this point.

You might start with a simple reboot :shock: and see if it recovers whatever is wrong.
octopus

Post by octopus »

I was hoping to avoid reboot, but I guess there's no other easy option right now. Does the init.d script run at startup automatically, or do I need to activate it?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

In a default install the init.d script runs at startup, there is/was an option in the installer to disable that action. It has been a while since I did other than a default install, so not certain where that option shows up.

From what you describe, I suspect there is some leftover lock on a file used by the client. This kind of thing usually clears up during a startup's file system checks and can be harder to find and clear otherwise.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3