How? What? Where? Why? Nothing works?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JeSuisFlaneur

How? What? Where? Why? Nothing works?

Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

I downloaded F@H today for my Debian 10 'puter. I used this one: fahclient debian-stable-64bit v7.5 fahclient 7.5.1 amd64.deb

After the download finished, I opened the Downloads file, and on right clicking, was offered the GDebi installer. Called that, and nothing happened. I was not asked for a password. HTOP doesn't show f@h running. Is this due to the increase of F@H clients since covid-19?

Computer Specs: Specifically CPU type and speed, RAM amount and number of CPU cores, especially. Don't forget your GPU type if you're folding with it.
product: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]

version: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
capacity: 3500MHz

Network Connection: Dialup? Cable? DSL? Via intranet? Any firewalls or proxy servers?
Cable @ 30 meg per second

Operating System: Windows/Linux/BSD? What distro/version? Latest patches applied?
Debian 10 with all patches

Overclocked?: What is overclocked? By how much?
no

Stable?: Try a few stability testing programs if you think that FaH is crashing your computer. It may be that your PC is just unstable overall.
AFAIK

Software: What version of the client are you using? Remember that Beta and prerelease versions can be unstable. What version of the core(s) are you using?
f@h 7.5.1

WU details: Gromacs, DGromacs, SMP, GPU? What WU? Run/Clone/Gen.
not applicable
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: How? What? Where? Why? Nothing works?

Post by Jesse_V »

Hi and welcome to the forum! Thanks for all the information. Most people don't fill that out and I really appreciate those details, that really does help a lot.

Can you look in your software list and see if FAHClient is actually installed? Did you also install FAHControl and FAHViewer? I'd recommend making sure that all three packages are installed, FAHClient first. When you install it, GDebi should prompt for your admin password so you can install the software. After that, you should see prompts or some kind of engagement from F@h. You might also take a look at the Linux Installation Guide: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... des/linux/
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
JeSuisFlaneur

Re: How? What? Where? Why? Nothing works?

Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

I apologize for taking your time. The download page, which ID'd my box as Linux, had no instructions nor a link to such a page.

POST CLOSED.