Can't Connect to Assignment Servers, but No Errors?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

AnonymABFolder

Re: Can't Connect to Assignment Servers, but No Errors?

Post by AnonymABFolder »

Really don´t know, were this blockage is coming from.
I configured router with Port opening and assign.stanford.edu and 65.254.110.245 on whitelists to avoid IP addresses.
But still same "error"
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

Are you running any anti-malware?
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
bhughes89

Post by bhughes89 »

Joe_H wrote:I would like to add one note, changing the logging verbosity to 5 provides little to no extra useful information. The default setting of 3 gives all the information needed for troubleshooting.
I set verbosity to 5 because it then includes all of my configuration information, which I thought might be useful for you guys in helping me sort this out. If not, no biggie...
anandhanju wrote:Can you try accessing the following URLs in your browser?

http://18.218.241.186:80
http://65.254.110.245:8080

Do you see a page that looks like this? Some security software/ routers block requests to IP addresses and this can cause the error you're running into.
I tried both of those IP addresses using Chrome, and I see the same "Assignment Server" splash page.
uyaem wrote:Are you running any anti-malware?
Nope, only running Windows Firewall - which I've actually disabled for the time being while I try to figure this out...
bruce wrote:There's another possibility but this is strictly a guess. FAH uses explicit IP addresses on some communications and DNS specifically on the initial connection to the AS. This may matter.

When I ping assign.stanford.edu and when I ping 65.254.110.245 I see two different results. Apparently I reached the same server but ping recognizes that I asked for it two different ways. Maybe the client is checking rDNS.
When I enter these addresses into a browser, I get taken to a seemingly identical webpage.

I can successfully ping 65.254.110.245, but when I ping assign.stanford.edu it says it cannot find the host.

Could this be causing the problem?
How would I go about fixing it?

AnonymABFolder

Post by AnonymABFolder »

bruce wrote:
There's another possibility but this is strictly a guess. FAH uses explicit IP addresses on some communications and DNS specifically on the initial connection to the AS. This may matter.

When I ping assign.stanford.edu and when I ping 65.254.110.245 I see two different results. Apparently I reached the same server but ping recognizes that I asked for it two different ways. Maybe the client is checking rDNS.
For me all Pinging is successful, direct IP and name.
No additional antimalware running. Only AV Avast, but even disarmed I get no differend result from F@H client.
bruce

Post by bruce »

assign1.foldingathome.org should give you (almost) the same splash page.
Forssux

Post by Forssux »

Hi There,

I have the same situation and noticed that my Openwrt firmware doesn't like adding a port to a ip adress when pinging.

So ping 8.8.8.8 works
but ping 8.8.8.8:80 gives an error

How can we proceed?

Kind Regards,
Guy Forssman
mrbroons

Post by mrbroons »

Hi Guy,

Just my 2p worth. You cannot 'ping' a port. Ping uses ICMP which is a different protocol and doesn't use ports. This is why you are getting no response. I'm not an openWRT expert however so there may be other options available that allows you to do this, just talking generally.
AnonymABFolder

Post by AnonymABFolder »

All ping command is working fine:

must be some other reason, signal is not getting out.
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

Hi @AnonymABFolder, can you post the entire log where it attempted to connect to this URL?
uncle_fungus
Site Admin

Post by uncle_fungus »

Hi AnonymABFolder, can you please post the cmd output of

Code: Select all

ping assign1.foldingathome.org
and

ping 65.254.110.245
You appear to have several typos in your above ping command, which means it is resolving to a completely different webserver
bhughes89

Post by bhughes89 »

My FAHClient still isn't getting past the "connecting to" phase... my log still looks like this, with nothing else reported after the last line even after running for 24+ hours:

00:47:58:Trying to access database...
00:47:58:Successfully acquired database lock
00:47:58:Enabled folding slot 00: READY cpu:6
00:47:58:Enabled folding slot 01: READY gpu:0:TU106 [GeForce RTX 2070] M 6497
00:47:58:WU00:FS00:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
00:47:58:WU01:FS01:Connecting to 65.254.110.245:8080
I've tried the following without success:
  1. Checked Event Viewer to see if anything was logged there that might indicate issues - found nothing
  2. Added all FAH programs to the whitelist for Windows Defender Firewall (FAHClient, FAHControl, FAHCoreWrapper)
  3. Added several incoming & outgoing firewall rules to Windows Defender Firewall, all specific to the Assignment Server IPs
  4. Ran netstat -b in Command Prompt (as well as checking Resource Monitor) - found that my IP is successfully connected to 65.254.110.245
  5. Turned off Windows Defender Firewall entirely
  6. Verified that my router's firewall is also disabled

Does anyone have any idea of how to troubleshoot this?
Is there a way for me to monitor all the incoming and outgoing connection requests, and determine if something else is denying a return message from the Assignment Servers?

Longshot here:
My version of Windows 10 Home was obtained using the "free upgrade from Win 7" program a few years ago. Is it possible that this version of Win10 is screwing with something?
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

@bhughes89, Have you tried switching your system off and turning it on back again? I had this issue yesterday after a new install of the client and a reboot fixed it.
bhughes89

Post by bhughes89 »

lol, yes I have restarted multiple times.

I've also tried:
  1. Uninstalled and reinstalling
  2. Installing under the "hidden" Win10 administrator account
anandhanju

Post by anandhanju »

lol, I went all Roy from the IT Crowd there, didn't I? Can you open http://65.254.110.245:8080 in your browser?
bhughes89

Post by bhughes89 »

Haha, no worries. I can open all the IP and assign/assign1/assign2 addresses in my browsers.