Android Abandoned? [No]

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Yavanius

Android Abandoned? [No]

Post by Yavanius »

Just curious if Android development been effectively abandoned? Sony shut down before I got to trying it out, was always curious about it.
JimboPalmer

Re: Android Abandoned?

Post by JimboPalmer »

Yes Sony put on open source, which has not flourished.

Sony wrote it for a very homogeneous ARM architecture, just as big.LITTLE took of on almost all phones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_big.LITTLE

This limited what phones and tablets it would run on.

There have not been any work for some time.

It never integrated with any other F@h infrastructure: Points, Teams, etc.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Yavanius

Post by Yavanius »

JimboPalmer wrote:Yes Sony put on open source, which has not flourished.
Shouldn't this be moved to the Deprecated section? It's a little misleading this sitting in the active area for the past year some and no definitive plans for its future...
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

In theory, I agree. I doubt that the usual helpers can do that, no matter what color their name is. The Director would have to issue and edict to whatever webmasters design the site.

In practice, the Director is legally blind and if someone is maintaining this web page, I missed it.

If a researcher inadvertently issued work for the android client, (and I can't think why they would) it would work on all the phones where it has not been removed. but new phones are less and less likely to support it.
Tsar of all the Rushers
RandyF

Post by RandyF »

I just installed the Sony Android F@H client on the of my Android devices, and it says "Helping Out", with all buttons showing Green, with the circle moving around the Start/Pause button.... Does this mean I am actually contributing? How can I verify?
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

It has been awhile since I gave up on the Android client, but I recall that no time elapsed on the amount of my contribution.
Tsar of all the Rushers
RandyF

Post by RandyF »

Thank you for the reply. It shows that I'm contributing time. I just wanted to see if it is valid time. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UkymtFK3jXnEwnyi7
Meki01
Hardware configuration: WIN7 HP / Intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz / 16 GB RAM / AMD RX-570P8DFD6
WIN10 pro / AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 16 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Folding since 03 2020 - not always, always more often

Post by Meki01 »

For me the APP version 1.00.61-10061 has been running for about 4 days on an HP Slate 21 and a Medion S8311. Progress is shown. With the HP I only have the problem that whenever I want to look at the rank, I always fall out and have to log in again ...
Sorry for my bad english - google translator says hello :-)
WIN7 HP / Intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz / 16 GB RAM / AMD RX-570P8DFD6
WIN10 pro / AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 16 GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
RandyF

Post by RandyF »

No progress bar on the Sony F@H Client. I'll keep them running, regardless.
tssmith2002

Post by tssmith2002 »

I downloaded it via APKMirror and I have it running on an LG G3 and a Nexus 7 2012 tablet but it doesn't show any accumulated time. If your client is showing contribing time then I would guess that it contacted a WU server and it is processing a WU. I wonder if there is any kind of log that we can see what it is doing?
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

As far as I can tell, there's no infrastructure in FAH supporting the Sony Android client ... I don't know if Sony restarted their servers to support it again, but to me, running this client is a wasted of time.

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
ipkh

Post by ipkh »

Sony has not updated the client and it no longer works on newer Android versions.
tssmith2002

Post by tssmith2002 »

There is mention of a person on the OpenWRT forum getting FAH to install on a OpenWRT install of a D-LINK router just a few weeks ago. Can someone from Pande Group state definitely that all of the ARM infrastructure is shut down? It looks like some Android clients are "participating" in time but who knows what that means?

If Android or ARM Linux clients can receive WU and contribute then I have a fleet of machines that point to FAH.

Thanks for your time
Todd
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Yes, the ARM infrastructure is down. From what I understand, Sony sent out a notice to all participants at the time that it was ending. The Android client may say it is running, but if you check it never gets a WU to process. Basically, does the device ever get very warm?

Not speaking officially for the F@H Consortium, Pande Group is no longer active, they did get the software that Sony put out to open source 2 years or so ago. At the time they said they would evaluate going forward with it, but unless they have made any other announcements recently, that was the last I saw official on this.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
tssmith2002

Post by tssmith2002 »

@Joe_H

Thanks for the update! I realize that it is more resources that F@H doesn't have but ARM systems are getting more powerful and more plentiful by the day. Even small amounts of work would be more than was available before.