The worst software I have ever seen.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GuillermoGonzalez

The worst software I have ever seen.

Post by GuillermoGonzalez »

After three days:

- With a medium configuration, the consumption of the 7700k cpu is kept at 90% -100%, causing overheating and BlueScreenOfDead errors.
- The consumption of the gtx1070 graphics card remains at 40% no matter what configuration you have.
- Points are not added in days, nor is team data updated for days.
- The worst ui experience ever seen.
- Zero assistance or answers in the forum, only answers about server problems to any question, I have not seen any moderator either.

With the number of good developers around this project wanting to help, I cannot explain how this could be so bad.
See you never. :oops:
ajm

Re: The worst software I have ever seen.

Post by ajm »

You can lower the number of cores allocated to FAH in the Advanced Control > Configure > Slots, clic on cpu than on Edit, enter the number of cores (actually, threads). By default, FAH tries to make the most of the hardware, which I find appropriate.

Your GTX is certainly at over 90% of its capacity, but the Task Manager won't tell you that without a little trick:
You also can use GPU-Z: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

The stats are slow in order to use the now scarce server's capacities for the science, rather. See viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33193

Welcome on board!
uyaem

Post by uyaem »

F@H has been running nonstop for 21 days on my machine, so I guess you have an issue with cooling.

I don't know what you are referring to with "Zero assistance or answers in the forum".
If you have tried to ask other questions before, you didn't hit the Submit button, this is your first posting on these forums.

I would also like to encourage you to use the search function, as everything you ask has been answered multiple times in the past 2-3 hours.
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

GuillermoGonzalez wrote:After three days:

- With a medium configuration, the consumption of the 7700k cpu is kept at 90% -100%, causing overheating and BlueScreenOfDead errors.
- The consumption of the gtx1070 graphics card remains at 40% no matter what configuration you have.
- Points are not added in days, nor is team data updated for days.
- The worst ui experience ever seen.
- Zero assistance or answers in the forum, only answers about server problems to any question, I have not seen any moderator either.

With the number of good developers around this project wanting to help, I cannot explain how this could be so bad.
See you never. :oops:
if it doesnt work for you uninstall and go do something else. Maybe try BOINC or Rosetta, or just play games on your hardware. This project isnt for everyone.
bambihunter71

Post by bambihunter71 »

It warns you either on the download page or installation of about everything you mentioned. As those above mentioned, you can adjust numerous settings to keep everything in the realm of what you want to donate. I have been folding for at least 8 years, probably 10. The only time I experienced what you describe is when my water pump on one of my systems was going out and was occasionally stopping. Other than that, my servers, workstation, and gaming desktop are all fine. Now, on the latter, I have a i9-9980xe and I game with it OC'd to 4.8ghz on all cores, but for F@H, I have to drop that to 4.4 to keep the temps in the range I am comfortable with. And, that is just a $90 AIO water unit.
Besides, while the software can be a little clunky to use, I'd much rather them do what they are doing in which they are spending their resources on the science we are working towards, not so much making an awesome polished interface.

I do wish they had more work units available. Or, at least give priority to those that have already proven their dedication for the causes. I know nearly 200 people have done more than I have, but not too shabby at nearly 2.8 billion and #197 at the moment. But, I understand. If new people volunteered to help and they couldn't get a work unit, they may not continue down the road.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

GuillermoGonzalez wrote:See you never. :oops:
Thank you for this very useful post ... :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
treckin

Post by treckin »

Love watching amateurs get their crappy OC nuked by AVX, not gonna lie!
TxRedneck

Post by TxRedneck »

treckin wrote:Love watching amateurs get their crappy OC nuked by AVX, not gonna lie!
:lol: It does stress a system unlike anything else.
bruce

Post by bruce »

TxRedneck wrote: :lol: It does stress a system unlike anything else.
And that's a good thing ... unless you have a crappy OC. Obviously he's into high performance on his games rather than on serious work.
TxRedneck

Post by TxRedneck »

Indeed. As much as I enjoy overclocking, I'm happy to keep my 1700x at 3.5ghz and 1.1v for a cool 55c under load, on air no less.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Oh, come on. 55C means it could be working harder. :P
TxRedneck

Post by TxRedneck »

bruce wrote:Oh, come on. 55C means it could be working harder. :P
Ha! It's a budget B350 mobo and serves as my work machine, f@h,plex server, file server, I don't wanna kill it till I have another both lined out. I'll lookin at the next gen Ryzen as it's successor.
ToeBlister

Post by ToeBlister »

If only OP channeled his courage to post his frustrations and questions on the forum and wait for others to reply... or Google instead of making trashy rant.
Oh wells... good riddance.
road-runner

Post by road-runner »

It will definitely find any weak hardware or inefficient cooling
Tohya

Post by Tohya »

They never bothered to even ask for any help