Over 2 exaflops!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Jonazz

Over 2 exaflops!

Post by Jonazz »

https://stats.foldingathome.org/os

Congratulations to everyone for making this happen!
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Over 2 exaflops!

Post by foldy »

It says over 1 exaflops. (Over 2 exaflops is in x86 instructions only which means if there were no GPUs.)
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

foldy wrote:(Over 2 exaflops is in x86 instructions only which means if there were no GPUs.)
I don't think that's what it means. As far as I know other supercomputers also use x86 equivalent flops when publishing performance numbers.
alxbelu

Post by alxbelu »

This is indeed awesome! And yes, I would say x86 is what most would compare as this is a more universal metric, more in the FAQ: https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/flops/
Official F@H Twitter (frequently updated): https://twitter.com/foldingathome
Official F@H Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Foldinghome-136059519794607/

(I'm not affiliated with the F@H Team, just promoting these channels for official updates)
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Looks like FAH 2 x flops = x86 flops. We sure have 1 to 2 exaflops
NoMoreQuarantine

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

Congratulation to the Folding@home team! I honestly don't know how you are managing to keep this whole thing running. If pure processing power can solve the current crisis we are looking good. I think I'll throw some donation money at you guys to support the operating costs.
bruce

Post by bruce »

foldy wrote:It says over 1 exaflops. (Over 2 exaflops is in x86 instructions only which means if there were no GPUs.)
No.

The GPUs flops are converted to the equivalent number of x86 flops and added to what the CPUs do.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

The project is currently around 2.43 exaflops. This was about 90 petaflops late last year.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/os
iceman1992

Post by iceman1992 »

Maybe someone with access to historical stats can create a graph to show the progress?
NuovaApe

Post by NuovaApe »

That is absolutely stunning.

The contrast of where began and what I witness today is extraordinary.

I started out "developing" on a ZX Spectrum. 4MHz Z80. A nerdy schoolboy trying to write in software a synthesizer (DX7) I couldn't afford. It took 50 seconds to compute a 2 second electronic fart. 50 flops max.

These numbers today are staggering.

I'm pleased to be Folding, not Farting at home.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

Almost 2.53 exaflops!
Endgame124

Post by Endgame124 »

2.6 exaflops... but it still looks like the assign rate won’t go over 130k / hour, and that wasn’t enough to feed 1.5 exaflops let alone almost double that.

Has there been any word on improvements to feed the beast? Probably need the assign rate at 400k+ to feed everything already out there.
Darth_Peter_dualxeon
Hardware configuration: EVGA SR-2 motherboard
2x Xeon x5670 CPU
64 GB ECC DDR3
Nvidia RTX 2070

Post by Darth_Peter_dualxeon »

Congratulation to this huge increase in computing power, whatever number it is.
From the workunit shortages and servers sometimes being overloaded, it really shows that popularity of folding has increased a lot.
Also, there are now 2.6 million donors, which was 1.7 million mid March (in the donors txt that has all the people who ever contributed, I think)

But, I don't really know how it's calculated. it says "CPUs and GPUs which have returned Work Units within the last 50 days are listed"
And now, there is a question for my situation

I have been folding only since mid March. (and I'm almost the 20000th in the aforementioned donor list, just keep my now unused workstation running, and doing the home-office on the laptop.)
I am always starting FAHClient in a terminal window each time when i reboot the computer.
(the thing installed as a system service just did not work correctly, and that's why)

and at my statistics, I see this:
Active clients (within 50 days) 13
Active clients (within 7 days) 3

which is nonsense, I am only folding at one PC, but only the client program is detected as different client, when restarted. I hope they don't count these as multiple computers.
I hope, the flops are calculated from the number of workunits that are done, not the number of cpus/gpus.

So, a GPU is in the order of magnitude of a Teraflop. Newer models may be slightly more, olders less
Actually, even my ancient Tesla C2050 had a peak theoretical performance of a teraflop (single), my RTX 2070 now according to wikipedia, has above 6 Tflop single.
I have tried folding with the old card before buying the new one, and the PPD numbers are un-comparably different.
GPU manufacturers and programmers have put a lot of work into the architectures in the last decade, and actual performance got way closer to the theoretical.

So it means, an exaflop (if we count GPUs) is 1 million average/not too old GPU or a few hundred thousand newer GPU.
Which is sort of comparable to the increase in user's number.

But then how did I make so high in the list already with only one GPU?
Last edited by Darth_Peter_dualxeon on Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

If you have reinstalled for any reason or even deleted and remade slots that will be counted as a different client. Most people are likely counted as one or two clients, one cpu slot and maybe a gpu slot.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

We seem to have dropped to 2.19 exaflops. Still amazing, but a significant drop of about 15%.

I guess the heat is starting to play a role here.