Client on Mac Catalina will not start

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

WildVirus

Client on Mac Catalina will not start

Post by WildVirus »

Hi,

I installed the client 7.5.1 on Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.4.

After setup Firefox started, but can't connect to the client. The client wouldn't start by setup.

Manual start of FAHControl works but with "Client: local Connectin Inactive". I can't config the client.

In the FAHClient-Directory of the user there is only the FAHcontrol.db. In /Library/Application Support/FAHClient is nothing. I didn't find a config.xml from the client.

I tested it with three browsers, all 64bit:
  • Chrome 80.0.3987.149
  • Firefox 74.0
  • Safari 13.1 (15609.1.20.111.8)
Catalina Firewall is activated. I've addes FAHClient to accept incoming connections.

In Systemlog are two messages:

Code: Select all

SubSystem: com.apple.runningboard
Categorie: general
RBSStateCapture remove item called for untracked item 315-181-709 (target:executable<FAHControl(501)>)

Code: Select all

Subsystem: com.apple.TCC
Categorie: access
{ID: org.foldingathome.fahcontrol, PID[9804], auid: 501, euid: 501, binary path: '/Applications/Folding@home/FAHControl.app/Contents/MacOS/FAHControl'} attempted to call TCCAccessRequest without the com.apple.private.tcc.manager.check-by-audit-token entitlement
Any ideas?
jonault

Re: Client on Mac Catalina will not start

Post by jonault »

I don't think anything gets put in /Library/Application Support/FAHClient during installation, I think that all gets set up by the client the first time it runs, so it sounds like the client program has not run at all.

The client executable is located in /usr/local/bin, did that get installed? I see two programs there: FAHClient and FAHCoreWrapper. (You'll need to use the terminal to check this, the /usr directory is not displayed by the Finder.)

Next look at /Library/LaunchDaemons, there should be a org.foldingathome.fahclient.plist file located there.

If any of those files are missing, then something went wrong with the installation, try uninstalling & reinstalling.

If those are all in place, then reboot & try running FAHControl again.

BTW, I didn't need to add any Firewall rules for F@H, but I have Automatically allow downloaded signed software to receive incoming connections checked.
WildVirus

Post by WildVirus »

Nothing helps - FAH is not working on my Macbook !

Deleted all of the points from the post by jonault. Btw - /Library/Application Support/FAHClient was empty after every installation/reboot

If I start FAHControl all is grey. Message "Client: local Connecting Inactive"

A Windows-client in the same network is working, therfore it can't be a problem with the firewall (Fritz!Box and pi-hole).

A click on the button Configure shows the client connection = local and Address 127.0.0.1 / Port 36330 and an empty field for a password
A click on the button "Preferences" show the Visualization-Command FAHViewer, Screen 800x600

Any ideas ?

App deleting, rebooting, new install I tested enough
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The first step that should happen after a new installation is that FAHClient starts running in the background, and by default tries to open up the Web Control in a browser. If that does not happen, try connecting using http://client.foldingathome.org in Safari. That substitutes http for the default https. I have found that more reliably connects.

I don't have a Cataliina system to test on, but others have managed to get the client installed and working. I do know Apple keeps closing more potential security holes, so if the firewall is active, I would check to see if it is blocking network communication on the local IP address 127.0.0.1. FAHcontrol uses port 36330 on that, will have to look up what the Web Control uses.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3