WU Acquisition Question

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

SepticGengar

WU Acquisition Question

Post by SepticGengar »

Is there a setting for how much time I want it to wait in between attempts to acquire a new wu? I notice it gets longer with each failed attempt. Can I change this?
JimboPalmer

Re: WU Acquisition Question

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

No. The timeout is hard coded in the client.

It starts fairly rapidly then trails off. (I have been known to take Windows updates and then reboot when I want a new WU. Updating graphics drivers and rebooting is another excuse.)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

you can't change this no, but if you really want work and don't want to let the servers deliver work as best they can you can pause the affected slot, wait for a minute or so and then restart the slot. this will put the counters back to zero so the attempts will have a higher frequency.

note this does not guarantee you will get work any sooner. the servers are overloaded and there simply isn't as much work - particularly for gpus - as there are clients. this is being worked on and will get better real soon now.
single 1070

bruce

Post by bruce »

Note: The time interval is designed to avoid overloading a server which has been down and just come back on-line with a backlog of clients all looking for an assignment. Manually insisting that your "me first" attitude should pre-empt others who are also waiting for an assignment no matter who the server is dealing with doesn't benefit the science being done.

I can forgive an occasional pause/resume but it should not be over-used.