AMD Radeon 8870 GPU not recognised after driver upgrade

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Scraps

AMD Radeon 8870 GPU not recognised after driver upgrade

Post by Scraps »

Hello All,

I'm new to this folding business and wanted to help out by doing some covid-19 work units. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks, then realised the drivers for my graphics card were out-of-date. I was hoping that by updating the drivers I could squeeze a bit more performance out of them. I updated the drivers and now the FAH client doesn't seem to recognise or want to use my GPU.

Before the update, my graphics card was showing as an AMD Radeon HD 8870. After the upgrade, it shows as a AMD Radeon R9 M200X, similar to a couple of posts I found on the internet

The GPU now shows in FAH Control as:

Code: Select all

gpu:1:{
  vendor: 0,
  device: 0,
  type: 0,
  species: 0,
  description:
}
In System Info, it says:

Code: Select all

Not detected: Failed to open dynamic library 'nvcuda.dll': The specified module could not be found
I tried uninstalling FAH and re-installing in the hope it may pick up the graphics card again, but it didn't. Is there anything I can do to resolve this and get my GPU folding again?
JimboPalmer

Re: AMD Radeon 8870 GPU not recognised after driver upgrade

Post by JimboPalmer »

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -oem.c2461
This card should be supported, it uses OpenCL 1.2 and does Double Precision floating point math.

Have you tried to manually add a GPU slot? I had to for my GTX 1050 ti, and it took on the second try.

In the taskbar to the lower right of the screen, you should see a F@H molecule icon, click it (you may need to click an Up Arrow to see it ^)

The second item in this menu is Advanced Control, click it

On this screen to the left is a Configure button, click it

Now you get a screen with a Slots tab, click it

On this white field should be a cpu item, but you want to click Add

When the new slot pops up, there is a raido button to select GPU. Now save and exit and reboot. If it does not take, try again once.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Jan

Post by Jan »

If that doesnt work: Did you install the latest FAH version? (7.6.9) Could you post the first 200 lines of you log which shows your system, etc? Also: Do you have a GPUs.txt in your FAHClient folder?
Scraps

Post by Scraps »

JimboPalmer wrote:https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -oem.c2461
This card should be supported, it uses OpenCL 1.2 and does Double Precision floating point math.

Have you tried to manually add a GPU slot? I had to for my GTX 1050 ti, and it took on the second try.

In the taskbar to the lower right of the screen, you should see a F@H molecule icon, click it (you may need to click an Up Arrow to see it ^)

The second item in this menu is Advanced Control, click it

On this screen to the left is a Configure button, click it

Now you get a screen with a Slots tab, click it

On this white field should be a cpu item, but you want to click Add

When the new slot pops up, there is a raido button to select GPU. Now save and exit and reboot. If it does not take, try again once.
That fixed it - thank you!
Rel25917

Post by Rel25917 »

The nvcuda.dll error is normal, you have an amd card therefore you do not have nvidia cuda.