Can't open Advanced Control—cx_Freeze: Python error?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

GoldStar135

Can't open Advanced Control—cx_Freeze: Python error?

Post by GoldStar135 »

Hi all,
I recently joined the F@h community a couple weeks ago. I decided to dust off an old Windows Vista PC (Dell XPS 435mt) to add to the folding my laptop does. It works well enough, but whenever I try to open Advanced Control, all I see is this error message:

I've been getting this message with 7.5.1, so I tried downloading the new 7.6.9 release today, but it still shows up. I've tried restarting/uninstalling and reinstalling F@h a bunch as well. I was wondering if any of you have any idea how to fix this? Web control works fine, but I'd really like if I could open up advanced control. I've also tried googling, but I didn't find any working solutions.

Below are some specs of the PC:
CPU: Intel Core i7-920
GPU: ATI Radeon 4670 (doesn't show up in the folding client)

Thanks in advance!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Can't open Advanced Control—cx_Freeze: Python error?

Post by Joe_H »

I don't know if the F@h client software will still run on Vista, but if it will you probably need a number of updates for it to work. Specifically you would be looking for an update that upgraded Python for Windows Vista.

Edit: Probably only need the runtime, not a full Python install.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

According to Microsoft, Windows 7 is no longer supported but FAH still runs on it. Vista is not supported and does not run.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum GoldStar135,

May I suggest that you reload the system Ubuntu (https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop) or Mint (https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php) and then setup CPU folding? Ubuntu/Mint have a nice GUI and you can navigate it easily.

Please note that your GPU doesn't support OpenCL 1.2 or Double Precision so can't fold: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/r ... -4670.c234
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Scott_AU

Post by Scott_AU »

bruce wrote:According to Microsoft, Windows 7 is no longer supported but FAH still runs on it. Vista is not supported and does not run.
To help me better understand (I am not a python coder) is FAH release using GTK+2 or GTK+3 and PyGTK or pygobject. The error message implies GTK+2 I was poking around to see if it is a library component that I can replace.
Don't ask why, yes, I run older OS version because I know how and mitigate the security risk. No OS has 100% security.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

My understanding is that FAHControl uses Python 2.7. Work is being done to convert it to Python 3, but that will be coming out with a later version.

Scott_AU

Post by Scott_AU »

Joe_H wrote:My understanding is that FAHControl uses Python 2.7. Work is being done to convert it to Python 3, but that will be coming out with a later version.
Yes, and is it using PyGTK (supports GTK 2) or pyGObject (supports GTK 2 and 3) bindings? Which GTK library is used? I need that info to do research on "cx_freeze".
bruce wrote:Vista is not supported and does not run.
I assume you mean FAHclient "does not run" on Vista, but have done 28 work units so far, so not sure what you mean.
Don't ask why, yes, I run older OS version because I know how and mitigate the security risk. No OS has 100% security.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Oops. I mean FAH does not run on Windows XP. It's been a long time since I used either one.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Not sure what GTK library is being used, think it might be the first. FAHControl is open source, perhaps you can determine which is in the released version from its GitHub site - https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-control.