Are work units checked for errors at submission?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

woodworth1

Are work units checked for errors at submission?

Post by woodworth1 »

Hi, I recently started folding, I am using an i7 6800k and a GTX 1070. There is an unknown issue with my motherboard, which makes it so my system won't boot if I change UEFI settings, like the ram speed, or fan settings, which limits my ram speed to 2133 mhz. But my system appears to work fine when the UEFI settings are on default. Swapping the motherboard for another X99 motherboard isn't an option right now, but I am planning on building a new system later this year. I'd like to keep folding in the meantime, and my current system is successfully completing work units and getting points for them, but my question is, are the work units checked for errors before points are awarded, and are the points only awarded for "good" work units? I'd just like to be sure that the unknown issue with my motherboard isn't introducing undetected errors into the work units. Forgive me if this is an unfounded worry, as I am new to folding, and I don't want to have a detrimental impact on the project.

Thanks,
woodworth1
JimboPalmer

Re: Are work units checked for errors at submission?

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@home!

Yes.

While your Work Unit is running the there are 'sanity checks' performed to be sure the data is valid. If the WU goes badly, you often see errors like NaN (Not a Number) or invalid enum (a number is passed to a subroutine that is not a valid parameter choice)

Immediately they are checked for transmission errors at the server, and then once it is successfully transferred it goes through a sanity check on the server.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
woodworth1

Post by woodworth1 »

Thanks. So are the points only awarded if the WU passes the on-server sanity check?
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Yep, for a WU to get full credits, it needs to pass all validation checks. There are some occasions where you get a bad WU in which case, you might get partial credits.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues