FAHControl Ubuntu 20.04 install issue

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

shamansw

FAHControl Ubuntu 20.04 install issue

Post by shamansw »

Hi

Can't install FAHControl on Ubuntu 20.04.

After sudo dpkg -i --force-depends fahcontrol_7.6.9-1_all.deb

got an error

fahcontrol depends on python-gtk2 | python-gnome2; however:
Package python-gtk2 is not installed.
Package python-gnome2 is not installed.

I can see FAHControl in applications but nothing helps when start.

Anybody faced it?
berndinger

Re: FAHControl Ubuntu 20.04 install issue

Post by berndinger »

Hi,
fachcontrol depends on python2, whereas ubuntu 20.04 uses python3. That is the reason why fahcontrol doesnt work, unless there will be a update of Fah. So you can use only the client, change settings via the web control and change further settings in /etc/fahclient/config.xml

cheers,
Bernd
ajm

Post by ajm »

You just have to install Python2:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install python dh-python python-gnome2
Then:

wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-stable-64bit/v7.6/fahcontrol_7.6.9-1_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i fahcontrol_7.6.9-1_all.deb
That would be the latest version in https://download.foldingathome.org/rele ... 4bit/v7.6/
If you want the former one: https://download.foldingathome.org/rele ... 4bit/v7.5/
that is

wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahcontrol/debian-stable-64bit/v7.5/fahcontrol_7.5.1-1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i fahcontrol_7.5.1-1_all.deb
shamansw

Post by shamansw »

Thank you but the next problem is how to install python-gnome2 :)

sudo apt install python-is-python2 dh-python python-gnome2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package python-gnome2
ajm

Post by ajm »

Ah, indeed, Ubuntu has removed support for Python2 with v19 (I use v18). So if you want to use Fahcontrol, you'll have to install 18.04 LTS. Sorry.
shamansw

Post by shamansw »

thank you! will know.
warrelium

Post by warrelium »

There are some forks of https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-control that appear to have ported to python3 but that repo has never merged a PR so I don't know if they'll make it into the master.
daoswald

Post by daoswald »

Ubuntu 20.04 is an LTS release. It is expected to be around for a long time. Additionally, the move to eliminate the python-gnome2 package from Ubuntu is a "from this point forward" shift. As such, this problem will not go away on its own as the release matures. To the contrary, more and more people will be upgrading to a version of Ubuntu that is incompatible with fah-control. Linux as a platform makes up about 25% of the WU's contributed to FAH. Ubuntu and its derivatives have a 36% market share in the Linux space. Within a few months a good portion of Ubuntu based users will be upgraded to the new LTS release. So this could translate to a 9% decrease in total WU's fulfilled if we lose the Ubuntu community. Possibly insignificant given the Covid-19 surge, but as life gets back to normal it will be impactful.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum daoswald,

Please note, as mentioned above, work is being done to ensure support of python 3. However, when it comes to folding, there's three packages:
FAHControl - currently has python 2 dependencies but is being worked on.
FAHClient - can function without issues on Ubuntu LTS
FAHViewer - I think it functions without issues on Ubuntu LTS

FAHClient is the critical component when it comes to folding as it does all the management of folding WUs. FAHControl is used to view the progress and modify the configuration. However, you can modify the configuration if you know your way around an xml file. Thus, it may not have a significant impact for existing donors who know what they are doing but might make it a bit hard for new Linux based donors.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
daoswald

Post by daoswald »

I appreciate your feedback PantherX.

I agree the FAHClient is really where the lifting is done, and particularly for someone comfortable with Linux command line, it's probably sufficient. For someone just getting started it's a little much, especially given the level of documentation readily available. But with enough time and diligence it's not too hard.

As for work being done, I see mostly the mention of the Github repo that has some un-merged pull requests, and an expression of uncertainty whether they'll make it into master. I suspect that as more adopt Ubuntu 20.04 the motivation to get those PR's refined and merged will be sufficient for it to happen.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

There currently is only a 'dirty' version, by force-installing Python 2 on Ubuntu.
See here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34607

The only test I haven't done is see which package is automatically removed after an apt-update.
That package needs to be apt-marked (so it won't be autoremoved).
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

My last post got lost somewhere, sorry.
Check here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=31972
Once you do everything, it'll work, but with the first update, the system might want to delete certain 'outdated' files.
You can use apt-mark to prevent the system from deleting them.
Demmers

Post by Demmers »

As a Linux Mint user, I foresee an issue then come June, when Mint 20 will be released. It will be based on Ubuntu 20.04.
Do the likes of PantherX reckon that an update would be done in time for then? I can see that config modifications are currently suggested. but seeing as i'm one of many members of "Team Linux Mint", I also foresee a lot of disgruntled fellow Mint users who are caught unaware lol.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Welcome to the F@H Forum Demmers,
Demmers wrote:...Do the likes of PantherX reckon that an update would be done in time for then?..
Good news is that the community is pitching in to port FAHControl from Python 2 to Python 3:
https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-control/pull/70
https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-control/pull/56

Bad news is that the F@H Team doesn't really provide ETAs so the next version will be announced when it's ready... hopefully it will be less than 2 years since that was the last time the client was updated.

Great news is that F@H Team is considering to move towards open source for some of the components which means that the F@H Community can all help out. Also, do to the recent awareness of F@H, there has been heaps of interest and they were accepting volunteers to help out. Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_TEiByZUQ so let's see what happens in the next few months :)
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Demmers

Post by Demmers »

Thanks PantherX for all of that! It is what it is, I was just curious to see how this sort of thing progresses. Sounds like it should be relatively painless come what may.
Keep up the good work! :D