How to Monitor Work Units using HFM.NET

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

NoMoreQuarantine

How to Monitor Work Units using HFM.NET

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

HFM.NET is an open source monitoring tool for FAHClient https://github.com/harlam357/hfm-net. While I was trying to get it working, I noticed that there weren't any readily available guides on how to use it (I might have missed it). So I decided to write one. The features of interest for me is it's ability to record and export completed work unit details, but it can also be used to create a website, which I do not currently cover (see HaloJones comment below).

Setting up HFM.NET
To set it up, begin by downloading the latest msi installation file from here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... zdsaEd5UXM and install. Start HFM.NET and select Clients > Add Client (v7). For most users, it will be enough to enter "local" for Client Name and 127.0.0.1 for Address and 36330 for Port.
HFM should now be showing data from FAHClient. Select File > Save As and save this configuration somewhere convenient. Go to Edit > Preferences > Startup & External, under Configuration file check Load Configuration File and select your file under Filename. Check Auto Run on Windows Startup if you would like to have it run on startup and Run Minimized to start minimized. Click OK when done and save the configuration.

HFM will continue to monitor and record information from FAHClient while it is running. You may minimize the window and it will continue to run in the background and can be accessed from the task bar. The Work Unit History Viewer is described in the next section.

Filtering and Exporting Work Unit History
The Work Unit History Viewer allow you to view, filter, and export your completed work unit details. Unfortunately, there is currently no method of importing WUs from before HFM.NET was installed. To access, select Tools > Work Unit History Viewer. In the following example we will create a filter for GPU work units. Under Data View select New and name the query something descriptive like OPENMM_22. Under the the Name column, click the drop-down arrow and change to "Core Name". Set the Value cell to OPENMM_22. If you have multiple GPUs, you can filter them by selecting Add Row, change to Name in the drop-down and give it the value of local Slot ## (replace ## with actual slot number for GPU). Click OK.
You can now select your filter under Data View. You can add as many filters for your slots as desired. For CPUs, use a value of GRO_A7 instead of OPENMM_22 for the Core Name. Additionally, you can decide how PPD is calculated for each WU by selecting one of the three radio buttons under PPD/Credit Calculation. Bonus (Download Time) calculates from the time the WU started downloading, Bonus (Frame Time) calculates using just the time it took to complete the WU, and Standard calculates using the base credits without any bonus.

Once you have the table the way you like it, you can export by selecting File > Export.
Sometimes, the credits given for projects will be changed by the FAH team after completion of a WU. The changes are usually small, but if you want to check for new values, in the main HFM.NET window select Tools > Download Projects From Stanford.

Help us build a GPU database
If you would like to share your results with world and help us find the best GPUs for Folding@home, foldinghomealone is currently collecting data for his database viewtopic.php?f=38&t=34510. Filter your GPU, select Bonus (Frame Time), export the results, and submit it here https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform

Unfortunately, Google Forms does not support anonymous file upload, so if you would like to submit anonymously use a throwaway.

You can view the full database here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =323814829
Last edited by NoMoreQuarantine on Fri May 01, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Re: How to Monitor Work Units using HFM.NET

Post by muziqaz »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9903
FAH Beta tester
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

If you have your own web server (they're really cheap these days), you can get HFM to create a website of your HFM.

This is mine http://www.miketimbers.com/hfm/summary.html

To do this, access the HFM Preferences dropdown. The first tab is Scheduled Tasks and the bottom section is "Web Generation". Tick "Create a Web Site. I have mine set to update after a "Full Refresh"

Then you will need to setup the Upload target. I upload to my FTP server putting the data into a sub directory. Specify the server name, the port, username and password. I have it uploading the "HTML" rather than XML, and uploading the Logfiles too. Finally the FTP Mode is Passive but that maybe different on your FTP service.

This allows me to see if I've got a stuck or dead slot from wherever I am in the world and can then use Teamviewer to access my home network and fix problems.
single 1070

Endgame124

Post by Endgame124 »

I installed HFM.NET. It detects my slot, PPD, etc. However, when following the directions for the work unit history viewer, nothing populates the table. Is there a, uh, auto associate button, that I'm not seeing somewhere so i can just click "find my log, and create desired upload"?
NoMoreQuarantine

Post by NoMoreQuarantine »

Endgame124 wrote:I installed HFM.NET. It detects my slot, PPD, etc. However, when following the directions for the work unit history viewer, nothing populates the table. Is there a, uh, auto associate button, that I'm not seeing somewhere so i can just click "find my log, and create desired upload"?
Unfortunately, it will only populate it with WUs from the point you install it onward. See this post for more details: https://github.com/harlam357/hfm-net/issues/306
skydivingcatfan
Hardware configuration: AMD 5700x, Asus Prime X570-Pro, EVGA 3080 12gb, G.SKILL Aegis 16GB DDR4 3200, Windows 10

Post by skydivingcatfan »

I installed this on one of my computers that I am folding on. I have a second computer that is also folding and would like to add this data to the monitor. How do I do that?
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

On the second computer you need to have configured it for remote access.

If you haven't done that yet, on Advanced Control, Configure, Remote Access, under the section called Passwordless IP Address Restriction, Allow - 192.168.0.0/24

Then save it and restart the second computer.

Then in HFM select Clients, Add Client, Fill in the details including the IP address of the second computer, click OK.
single 1070

skydivingcatfan
Hardware configuration: AMD 5700x, Asus Prime X570-Pro, EVGA 3080 12gb, G.SKILL Aegis 16GB DDR4 3200, Windows 10

Thanks

I will try that tonight when I get home from work.
Endgame124

Post by Endgame124 »

HaloJones wrote:On the second computer you need to have configured it for remote access.

If you haven't done that yet, on Advanced Control, Configure, Remote Access, under the section called Passwordless IP Address Restriction, Allow - 192.168.0.0/24

Then in HFM select Clients, Add Client, Fill in the details including the IP address of the second computer, click OK.
We need to start HFM on the remote host, or do we need to configure FAH for the remote access? If it’s just configure the remote F@H install, does that mean a windows host can monitor a Linux F@H client?
Kebast

Post by Kebast »

Endgame124 wrote:
HaloJones wrote:On the second computer you need to have configured it for remote access.

We need to start HFM on the remote host, or do we need to configure FAH for the remote access? If it’s just configure the remote F@H install, does that mean a windows host can monitor a Linux F@H client?
You just need to configure FAH on the remote machine for the remote access (FAHControl Remote Access tab). Then you can monitor that machine from any other FAHControl install (or HFM) you have on the network. You can even get fancy and configure it to allow access from outside your LAN, but I really wouldn't recommend that.
Ryzen 5900x 12T - RTX 4070 TI
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Any OS FAHControl can monitor any other FAH client irrespective of OS of host or target so long as the target has allowed remote access. HFM uses the exact same method to view a client as FAHControl but it keeps a record of every unit and has other cool features like web reporting.

So you must enable remote access on every machine you want to monitor with either HFM or FAHControl but HFM only needs to be on the monitoring machine not on the monitored machine.
single 1070

skydivingcatfan

I never can deal with network things without having issues

I added 192.168.1.0/24 since that is the subnet I am on and now cannot connect. Does not give me the Remote Access tab to go back how it was.
Kebast

Post by Kebast »

Did you add it under the Passwordless IP restriction section too?
Ryzen 5900x 12T - RTX 4070 TI
skydivingcatfan

Kebast wrote:Did you add it under the Passwordless IP restriction section too?
Yes
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Did you by chance, removed 127.0.0.1 and replaced it with 192.168.1.0/24?

If you did that, it means that locally, you have disabled FAHControl to connect with the local FAHClient. However, you might be able to connect to it remotely and then change the settings.

If you post a screenshot of that configuration window, ensure that the password field is not visible in your image here.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues