Tempreture Spikes on Windows & Mac Laptops

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
colnscott

Tempreture Spikes on Windows & Mac Laptops

Post by colnscott »

Hi,
I installed the FAH client software on my Windows (intel i7) and Macbook Pro laptops but have had to suspend usage on both because of unacceptable continous rises in tempreture on both machines.
The Windows machine running at 76c - 79C average and the Macbook Pro running at 98C - This regardless of FAH runnig during 'idle' and full 'User' modes.
Normal operating temps for each laptop is 43C for Windows and 50C for Mac OS during 'medium' user load.

Is there a way to limit the resource load so that the FAH cliet software can run continously but perhaps slower and thereby not increasing tempretures by such dramatic %s ?

I know this can be done as anyone familiar with the cross platform software called 'Handbrake' will have encountered a similar problem which is solved - in software - by limiting 'CPU Resource Load'.

Any suggestions or 'link referrals' would be appraciated.

Thanks.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Re: Tempreture Spikes on Windows & Mac Laptops

Post by BobWilliams757 »

You can limit the number of thread used and it will help temps some, but not a great deal on some systems. Depending on your thread counts you might be able to accomplish the same by moving the slider to the medium position. Once again this varies based on the system and CPUs, as some will just run fewer threads but boost higher on the running threads, so temps stay up regardless.

If you are more than a casual user, you could limit CPU frequencies and/or boost clocks, and/or threads used to control temps more. If that is the case let us know and someone will find the right link or give you a hand with the configuration on the FAH client if you need some help. Often limiting clock speeds and/or boost will bring down temps without changing configuration in FAH, but doing that varies with what software and hardware your systems are running.

Folding is tough on a system, often as hard or harder than many (or most) benchmark programs. At a minimum I would suggest cooling risers, making sure your fans and ducts are clean, etc if you are folding on a laptop.
Fold them if you get them!
FireFox-89
Hardware configuration: Luna-
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @ stock | Noctua NH-U9s with 2 Noctua B9 Redux 1600 92mm Fans
MSI B450 Tomahawk Max Revision 1.0 BIOS version 3.F0
Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB DDR4-3000 | Timings 16-18-18-36
Sapphire Radeon RX 590 Nitro+ 8GB
SeaSonic M12II 850w 80+Bronze PSU

Terra-
Intel Core i5-4690K @ 4.20GHz with Vcore of 1.138v | Corsair H100i V2 with 2 Corsair SP120 120mm fans
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H BIOS version 10b
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x4GB DDR3-1600 | Timings 9-9-9-24
Sapphire Radeon RX 570 Pulse 4GB -100mV undervolt
OCZ Technology ZS Series 550w 80+Bronze PSU

Anubis-
Intel Core i7-5820K @3.80GHz with Vcore of 1.089v | Cooler Master Hyper 212 with Noctua NF-F12 120mm IPPC 3000 fan
Gigabyte X99-SOC Champion BIOS version F23c
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8GB DDR4-3000 @ 2400 | Timings 15-15-15-36
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ 4GB -25mV undervolt
SeaSonic Prime Platinum 750w 80+Platinum PSU

All machines running F@H v7.6.21

Post by FireFox-89 »

Depends how confident you are but it may be worth dusting out the internals of the machine, cleaning and reapplying new thermal paste. To be honest I wouldn't recommend folding on laptops because the cooling systems aren't exactly extravagent.
Do you even fold bro?
HaloJones

Post by HaloJones »

Very few laptops apart from some "gaming" laptops are designed for high load. Because they rarely need to run like that it isn't good business to add all the complexity, size and weight necessary for good cooling so "standard" laptops simply can't handle the heat generation of something like FAH.
single 1070