FAHBench - valid for RTX2060?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
agent71

FAHBench - valid for RTX2060?

Post by agent71 »

Am looking to try varied configurations over the coming weeks as have both iGPU and PCI GPU in machine.

I see posts that FAHBench requires updating but will it still be a valid benchmark for me as I experiement with setup on my machine?

I'm planning
  • Linux with iGPU disabled and RTX as primary video and folding (current setup)
  • Linux with iGPU enabled as primary with RTX dedicated to folding
  • FreeNas with iGPU as primary and RTX in PCI-passthrough mode in a VM (If I can get working)
Thanks
Last edited by agent71 on Mon May 18, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: FAHBench - valid for RTX2060?

Post by Joe_H »

The current version of FAHBench may not fully load your RTX 2060, but it will be a consistent benchmark for getting a relative sense of performance. What you may not see is what the maximum performance the card is capable of.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
agent71

Post by agent71 »

Perfect and thank you. It's what I expected but in this instance a consistent benchmark is all I'm concerned with.

Thanks a lot.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

VMs will always run slower.
You save a little power and ram, if you offload the desktop to the IGP, and run folding on only the RTX.
However, FahClient is a bit anal about the IGP, so you'd have to manually set up the GPU slot, so FAH wouldn't try to fold on the IGP.
Might work if it's an AMD IGP, but if it's an Intel one, it won't work.