[SOLVED] System crashes when crunching FAH on Radeon VII

It seems that a lot of GPU problems revolve around specific versions of drivers. Though AMD has their own support structure, you can often learn from information reported by others who fold.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

xanthene

Re: [SOLVED] System crashes when crunching FAH on Radeon VII

Post by xanthene »

Hello NormalDiffuion,

With the help of the benchmark you pointed me to, I was able to drop the voltage to 1000mV without corrupting the WU.
The fan curve I don’t really get. The card keeps ramping up the RPMs quickly and then dropping them down again slowly. That behavior doesn’t correlate with my fan curve at all. Nevertheless, the junction temp is down a good 10 Celcius from stock and the card is somewhere in the high 60 Celcius area.

Regarding your point on the drivers: yes, I believe them to be identical to some older gaming drivers, but - as you pointed out - more stable and with a different QA process. That’s why I think they may generally be preferable for “serious” tasks like F@H.
NormalDiffusion

Post by NormalDiffusion »

Hi xanthene,

that's strange with the fans! I have a pretty steep curve on mine and it's working fine. Sometime you need to restart the PC for the card to take the modifications into account.

As for the driver: from what I read somewhere, they are sadly exactly the same than the gaming drivers... They just have been integrated into the pro version because couple of companies got the Rvii and it's easier for deployment for the IT. Just one driver for all AMD cards...
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

xanthene wrote:Hello NormalDiffuion,

With the help of the benchmark you pointed me to, I was able to drop the voltage to 1000mV without corrupting the WU.
The fan curve I don’t really get. The card keeps ramping up the RPMs quickly and then dropping them down again slowly. That behavior doesn’t correlate with my fan curve at all. Nevertheless, the junction temp is down a good 10 Celcius from stock and the card is somewhere in the high 60 Celcius area.

Regarding your point on the drivers: yes, I believe them to be identical to some older gaming drivers, but - as you pointed out - more stable and with a different QA process. That’s why I think they may generally be preferable for “serious” tasks like F@H.
Pretty normal behavior for GPUs and CPUs.
They make use of the lower thermal state, to boost frequencies high.
As soon as the heat sink temperature rises, they lower in frequency, as cooling capabilities of the heat sink lower.