Over 2 exaflops!

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

uyaem

Re: Over 2 exaflops!

Post by uyaem »

JonazzDJ wrote:We seem to have dropped to 2.19 exaflops. Still amazing, but a significant drop of about 15%.

I guess the heat is starting to play a role here.
That, and the calculation is based on active clients.
Now, an "active client in the past 50 days" can mean that in the past, user that returned no more than a couple of WUs were included in those stats.

Far more valuable are the long term users that have their machines running around the clock, mainly those high hitters from large companies and organizations (nvidia, LHC, to name a few) that we see shooting up the leader boards.
So yeah, the overall number went down, but then again: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com ... ary.php?s= ;)
CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X (1x21 CPUs) ~ GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super (Asus)
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

odd that they state Linux has 3M CPUs, with 26M cores.
That's an average for each Linux PC of 8,5 cores.
Provided a large majority of them are dual, and quad cores (with HT),
it seems odd that there still are a substantial amount of CPUs running more than 10 threads.
The Linux community must all have upgraded to Xeons, Ryzens, or threadrippers...
Or a lot of corporate stuff going on...
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

JonazzDJ wrote:We seem to have dropped to 2.19 exaflops. Still amazing, but a significant drop of about 15%.

I guess the heat is starting to play a role here.
All part of global warming! :)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Rel25917 wrote:If you have reinstalled for any reason or even deleted and remade slots that will be counted as a different client. Most people are likely counted as one or two clients, one cpu slot and maybe a gpu slot.
Partly true. Partly inaccurate.

Changing the the slots down not count as a different client.
Uninstalling an reinstalling FAH sofware DOES count as a new client.

When new software contacts the server for the first time, it's a new client and it's assigned an ID number. Then it depends on whether or not your uninstall process happens to erase the assigned ID number or if it still has preserved that ID number on your HD.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

It is expected that during summer upto half of FAH home PCs stop folding because of too much heat and power usage with air conditioning running. In autumn when users remember FAH again, especially cause of Corona-Virus rises again in parallel to influenza, hopefully they all return. And now can use the FAH generated heat for their home.
Jonazz

Post by Jonazz »

foldy wrote:It is expected that during summer upto half of FAH home PCs stop folding because of too much heat and power usage with air conditioning running. In autumn when users remember FAH again, especially cause of Corona-Virus rises again in parallel to influenza, hopefully they all return. And now can use the FAH generated heat for their home.
True, but this virus is so deranging that we really need every folder we can get, even when it's hot. Crucial discoveries may perhaps occur too late if we lose many folders.
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

I know I have had 2 quad-core systems running nearly 20+ hours a day (considering time to update Fedora), and my primary 2-core Windows 7.0 SP1 (x86 64bit Pro) system using every bit of spare resources it can.

And note that I am using 1 legacy quad-core Opteron 1300 series, a legacy quad-core Pentium 4, and a legacy dual core Core2 on on those 3 systems.

I'd like to check out any available threads w/regards to setting up OpenMM to see if that would allow me to get the 2 ATI/AMD Mobility HD3870's I have in my Alienware Pentium 4 laptop busy w/some GPU tasks.

Paul
Last edited by psaam0001 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

i watch the number of 'active users on EOC, volunteers who have completed at least 1 WU in the last 7 days.

In late March, that peaked at 180,000 and is down to 100,000 today.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

Ok... Well being that the Mobility HD3870's are as permanently installed as one can have them (in a laptop w/enough screws to keep track of that I'd need a jar for each size), I'm just going to be doing CPU WU's.

Paul
psaam0001

Post by psaam0001 »

And as a follow up: I will be removing F@H from my Windows 7 machine after I finish the current work unit in progress. As I can not predict its future reliability for running such an important project.

Paul
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

@JimboPalmer: I watch the number of work units and PPD in last month too and it stayed the same. So I guess many users tried folding once and then skipped it again which created many active users first which then fast disappeared again. But the continues folding users are stable. I hope when 2nd corona virus wave hits us in autumn then active users will double again.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

foldy wrote:@JimboPalmer: I watch the number of work units and PPD in last month too and it stayed the same. So I guess many users tried folding once and then skipped it again which created many active users first which then fast disappeared again. But the continues folding users are stable. I hope when 2nd corona virus wave hits us in autumn then active users will double again.
My output dipped in late March and April as Wus were in short supply, since May 12 I can get WUs every time, so fewer users has not meant a drop in Wus completed, just a drop in wait time. If the users continue to leave, I expect a sharper dip in Points and WUs. Another wave of pubicity about F@H might finally help. Before this I felt it would just add delays in getting WUs.

Mont recent Propaganda I saw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbQCeDZ ... 47&index=5
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
peterjammo

Post by peterjammo »

JimboPalmer wrote:i watch the number of 'active users on EOC, volunteers who have completed at least 1 WU in the last 7 days.

In late March, that peaked at 180,000 and is down to 100,000 today.
Do you have any numbers relating to "Anonomous" folders? Looking through the EOC stats, they seem to be recorded as 1 user. It seems that EOC only records data for the top 2000 Team Anon folders, and it would be interesting to know how many active folders (like me) aren't included in the EOC stats.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

peterjammo wrote:...Do you have any numbers relating to "Anonomous" folders? Looking through the EOC stats, they seem to be recorded as 1 user. It seems that EOC only records data for the top 2000 Team Anon folders, and it would be interesting to know how many active folders (like me) aren't included in the EOC stats.
From EOC: "...Turns out I'm tracking 99.7% Points & 96.2% WUs based on the teams totals...."

Of course, when you're talking about totals exceeding Millions, those are large numbers. You can get the full list yourself and calculate it if you want to: https://foldingathome.org/statistics/
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
peterjammo

Post by peterjammo »

PantherX wrote: You can get the full list yourself and calculate it if you want to: https://foldingathome.org/statistics/
Not sure how I can extract number of Anon users from the Official stats either. Donors.txt was showing 2.4 million individual entries a couple of days ago, but the top one is still the "unknown soldier" - ie Anonymous. I assume that list is for every donor who has ever connected. Is there another stat that would help provide the number of anon folders, ideally active anon? I suspect not, but was wondering whether anyone was aware of a number ever being reported or even estimated.

It would be interesting to me to know what the current contribution from Anon folders is compared to the "heavy hitters", and also what the average active anon folder contributes.