Simultaneous use of folding hardware

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
random_number

Simultaneous use of folding hardware

Post by random_number »

Hey,

I am currently building my folding pc, and I was wondering whether I could use the folding pc to contribute to other projects simultaneously.
I found two things that might be interesting:
1) Setting up a honeypot for hackers and,
2) Providing a relay for Tor.

Does anyone here has experience with these things, or does simultaneously use his/her folding pc for other projects?
JimboPalmer

Re: Simultaneous use of folding hardware

Post by JimboPalmer »

Folding@Home does not share well with other Distributing Computing environments, if i was interested in that I would look at BOINC, where many projects share a framework.
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/

Deliberately drawing the attention of low lifes seems unwise in any environment where useful work will ever be done again.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
HugoNotte

Post by HugoNotte »

I have tried to run FAH and Boinc WUs on the same CPU. Of the 8 threads my FX 8320 provides I had at one stage 4 dedicated to FAH CPU WUs, 1 for FAH GPU WUs, 2 for Boinc WUs and left 1 thread open.
FAH and Boinc affect each other somehow, the FAH PPDs went down quite a bit compared to running FAH on 4 threads without additional BOINC WUs and the BOINC WUs where running significantly slower than running 8 of them exclusively. There were a lot of errors and invalid Boinc WUs returned at that time. If you really want to mix e.g. FAH & Boinc, keep FAH on the GPU and BOINC on the CPU or vice versa. That seems to work fine, no more errors or invalid WUs.
NRT_AntiKytherA

Post by NRT_AntiKytherA »

1) Setting up a honeypot for hackers and,
2) Providing a relay for Tor.
In which case you probably find russian roulette and playing chicken with trains or fast moving cars interesting too. Seriously don't do either of those on a machine connected to your home or work network.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

You can easily and safely pair FAH with a file server, internet relay (like tor), bittorrent server, chat server, or other light duty measuring tools.

I wouldn't try to attract hackers, they can mess up your hard and software, and stop the folding. However, if you're generally not having any, it might be ok.
I once got hacked, and my internet connection was reduced to a crawl. All it took was a reboot, and a kernel update.