Medium Setting - CPU/GPU Regularly Hitting 100%

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Bigkev666

Medium Setting - CPU/GPU Regularly Hitting 100%

Post by Bigkev666 »

Hello,

I've been using F@H for a month or so now and am having issues with the CPU (i8350k) and GPU (1660 Super) hitting 100% at times, especially the GPU which is always over 95%.

My case is not up to the task of keeping them cool enough, without running the fans at 100% and then, both regularly hit 80c, especially the GPU.

I am going to be upgrading soon, but is there any way to limit both to 60/70% at medium, especially the GPU?

Thanks for your help.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Medium Setting - CPU/GPU Regularly Hitting 100%

Post by Joe_H »

Using the Advanced Control, FAHControl, you can set the CPU folding to use a set number of threads. However GPU usage is basically either On or Off due to the nature of the hardware and its drivers. You can however set power limits using utilities such as MSI-Afterburner so it generates less heat, and often with minor impact on folding speed.

For the CPU slot change you will need to use FAHControl to changes the configuration. Open FAHControl, click on Configure after it finishes connecting. Select the Slots tab by lclickong on it, then click on the CPU slot and click Edit. Change the number of CPU threads from the '-1' that appears there and leaves the count to the slider setting and change it to the number of threads you want to use. That can be from 1 to the maximum number of CPU threads your processor supports. Then click OK and Save the changes.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Bigkev666

Re: Medium Setting - CPU/GPU Regularly Hitting 100%

Post by Bigkev666 »

Thanks a lot for the reply, I'll give it a go.