Russia puts forth first treatment for COVID-19. [URL]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

WTS

Russia puts forth first treatment for COVID-19. [URL]

Post by WTS »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/01/russia- ... -june.html

How did Russia beat us in getting a treatment? But, I hope and pray it's safe and effective. Please, let's all keep folding until we know everything there is to know about this virus. Even if we get both a treatment and a vaccine, we still need to keep folding for the next Pandemic. And, there will be many more Pandemics.
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: Russia puts forth first treatment for COVID-19. [URL]

Post by foldy »

It is from Japan and tested in Russia. Preliminary trials appeared to show that it could shorten recovery times for patients with Covid-19. “We believe there are now only two antiviral drugs against the virus that are really effective, those are remdesivir, done by the U.S., and this favipiravir"
WTS

Post by WTS »

foldy wrote:It is from Japan and tested in Russia. Preliminary trials appeared to show that it could shorten recovery times for patients with Covid-19. “We believe there are now only two antiviral drugs against the virus that are really effective, those are remdesivir, done by the U.S., and this favipiravir"
I wonder if they used any research from F@H.
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
bruce

Post by bruce »

WTS wrote:I wonder if they used any research from F@H.
Possible, but I'd say probably unlikely. Most of the details I see are pre-screening of compounds that will be subjected to additional testing by the Covid MoonShot group although there are several other news articles in adjacent pockets at that site. We are looking for a potential vaccine which takes a deeper understanding than re-purposing a known antiviral which already has been used and may help those already infected recover more quickly.