Doesn't stop folding after current work unit

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mels

Doesn't stop folding after current work unit

Post by mels »

I have a very basic question, not having paid much attention to the finer points as my folding has been running in the background as I get on with my other work most of the time. There are times I want it to stop, and, given the choice of the two options, would usually prefer to allow it to stop running after finishing the current work unit. However, it does not seem to do this - for example, last night it was at 98% of one, and I clicked the "Finish up, then stop" button and assumed that it would stop at the end of that. This morning it was 9% of the way through a new one. This has happened before, which has led me to return and just do a "stop now".

Firstly - some clarification please: does the bar represent one work unit? (I was not clear whether the work unit represented the approx. 15 mins of work as explained somewhere else, or the whole piece of work represented by the bar - either way, it didn't work in the way I expected!)

Also - should I expect it to automatically start folding after a restart or close down/switch on of the computer?
JimboPalmer

Re: Doesn't stop folding after current work unit

Post by JimboPalmer »

This is what i think I know (i fold 24/7 so I rarely press any buttons)
There are modifiers that change how you fold:
"On Idle" only folds when the OS decides the PC is idle. (OS's differ how they decide this, but it is up to the OS, not F@H)
"Finish" completes this Work Unit but does not download or run another one.
"Pause" quits folding now.

And this is the killer "Fold" undoes all three of these, you may have only wished to stop "On idle" but Finish is also cancelled, as is "Pause". "Fold" does more than you may expect.

I do not have a good Idea what bar you mean, but my Work Units take between 4 and 18 hours. (I have some old PCs)

There is an option to Pause on start up. (I am Assuming Windows)

In the taskbar to the lower right of the screen, you should see a F@H molecule icon, click it (you may need to click an Up Arrow to see it ^)

The second item in this menu is Advanced Control, click it

On this screen to the left is a Configure button, click it

Now you get a screen with a Slots tab, click it

Decide if you what to pause your CPU or GPU I will assume CPU but I think they are the same

On this white field should be a cpu item, click it and then click edit

At the bottom you can add Extra Slot Options, click Add

You will see a Name field and a Value field.
In Name type pause-on-start
In Value type true

And click OK and Save and that slot will be paused after a reboot.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
mels

Post by mels »

Thanks for that, Jimbo. I wonder if we have different screens? (I'm looking at https://client.foldingathome.org/.) Mine says "Web control" in the top left and has a bar running across the middle which fills up with blue and gives a percentage done as it goes. I have the "While I'm working" or "Only when idle" option (mine is set to the former and on full power), and a big red "Stop folding" button under those options and the power bar. When I click on Stop folding, it offers Stop now, or Finish up, then stop. I cannot see anything using the word "pause".

I have now found the icon in my (Windows) task bar - and see that when I use Pause there, it stops immediately. Now that I have explored the Advanced Control and followed your instructions, I assume that it will be paused when I start up. This seems to offer more options, but a bit more challenging to use. I will experiment further and see how I go. Thanks for your help.

(I'm still not sure why it started a new work unit after I'd told it to stop after the one it was doing last night, but I'll work on that one later.)
bruce

Post by bruce »

Yes, Jimbo is assumeing you're running the FAHControl (or "advanced Control") instead of Web Control. The WebControl start by defalut you don't need to use it. FAHConrol is much more powerful and it has a FINISH button that works. The equivalent button in WebControl doesn't work, as you've discovered. There's an open bug ticket to fix it.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The Web Control - client.foldingathome.org - has a bug in the current version that causes the Finish function on the control button to not work. Until that gets fixed, to use Finish you will need to use the Advanced Control - FAHControl - as JimboPalmer has mentioned in his post. There you right click on the folding slot you want to set to Finish, or use the single Finish butt on the screen and all slots will be set to Finish.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
mels

Post by mels »

Okay, great, thanks for that, Joe.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Yes, Sorry.
I see Web Control just once during install, then use Advanced Control thereafter. I am no expert on Web Control.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
mels

Post by mels »

No worries, Jimbo - your info helped, because I learnt of the existence of that control, and set up that default as per your instructions, which works for me!

Also - sorry Bruce, I somehow missed your comment before, but that is also useful to know, thanks for that detail. I'll stick to using the FAHControl for now.

Thanks to all.
:)