Core temperatures

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
ajm

Re: Core temperatures

Post by ajm »

The boost is flexible. For example, during my tests above with the Threadripper running Linpack Xtreme, AIDA64 and FAH, the frequency stays at around 4.2 GHz, that is, 0.3 GHz under the max. boost. And here, there is absolutely no thermal issue: max 68°C on the package with FAH, middle 50s with the other software. So I guess that the system keeps the last peak of the boost for special demands. Unless of course you tweak the frequency in the bios, but then it's on you.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

for threadrippers, surpassing 150W, I would highly recommend a triple 120MM fan (360mm) water cooling system.
And not a cheap ($120) ones (as they work about as well as a decent 240mm system).
Instead you'll have to look above the $175-200 range.
These water cooling systems usually are good for up to 225-250W. Not all the heat of a 280W threadripper can be dealt with successfully.
Like this one, specifically designed for the RT4 socket:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087DB7273

The heat problem is why you'd want to disable PBO on these, or only enable it very mildly.
AMD's air cooled TR coolers are pure garbage, not effective at all!
ajm

Post by ajm »

I would't call it "specifically designed" for the TR4. They just put a larger cold plate on an existing system.
This here is specifically designed: https://optimuspc.com/products/absolute ... adripper-3
roygrubb

Post by roygrubb »

I've been able to get back to this now after being away.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice and comments. I should have mentioned I'm running on Windows 10, and I updated the BIOS a few weeks ago.

@PantherX, I ran LinpackXtreme_x64 on 24 threads and then 2 threads. I allocated 10GB RAM to it.
On 24 threads, Open Hardware Monitor showed all threads taking 100% of the CPU most of the time, but occasionally dropping to 98%.
The temperatures of CPU CCD #1 and 2 never went over 81degC.
On 2 threads (the same as I allocate to Folding@Home) The process takes about 9% of the CPU.
The temperatures of CPU CCD #1 and 2 are a little higher, sometimes reaching 83degC.

The above was with the settings as before - so FAH stresses the CPU much more than LinpackXtreme.

The key thing I've found is that the app to control the water cooling has multiple settings for fan and pump: Silent, Performance, Custom and Fixed. The guys who built the machine for me set both to Silent. Perfectly reasonable. But for running FAH I found that Performance is what I need. Now I have 6 cores allocated to FAH, and it's running at 70/71degC. I'm mad at myself for not digging into the CAM app earlier.

@HugoNotte mentioned Cool and Quiet but I couldn't find that setting anywhere in the BIOS - searched all sections.

@MeeLee, I'm not sure what the water cooling fans are as the pipes lead to an enclosed unit attached to the front of the case, but that is marked NZXT, like the heat exchanger attached to the CPU. It's a NZXT Kraken X52 240mm. Anyway the top of the case has holes for two fans, but no fans installed so I'm going to add fans there - can't do any harm to suck hot air out.

Thanks again to everyone.
HugoNotte

Post by HugoNotte »

roygrubb wrote:Anyway the top of the case has holes for two fans, but no fans installed so I'm going to add fans there - can't do any harm to suck hot air out.
Good plan. My CPU (AMD FX) cooler blows air vertically up, not towards the rear exhaust fan. Even though I got a fan in the top, just removing the top dropped the CPU temperature 3 or 4 degrees, even though the side panel has been open the whole time. Seems like that dust filter underneath that top grid acts a bit like a lid keeping hot air in.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

HugoNotte wrote:
roygrubb wrote:Anyway the top of the case has holes for two fans, but no fans installed so I'm going to add fans there - can't do any harm to suck hot air out.
Good plan. My CPU (AMD FX) cooler blows air vertically up, not towards the rear exhaust fan. Even though I got a fan in the top, just removing the top dropped the CPU temperature 3 or 4 degrees, even though the side panel has been open the whole time. Seems like that dust filter underneath that top grid acts a bit like a lid keeping hot air in.
In one of my cases, I also had to re-rout the filter to another compartment, as it was indeed trapping the hot air.
CPU temps would regularly top 90C, with the filter out, and some minor tuning, it now runs at 83C.
roygrubb

Post by roygrubb »

I've been able to get back to this now after being away.

Thanks to everyone who chipped in with advice and comments. I should have mentioned I'm running on Windows 10, and I updated the BIOS a few weeks ago.

@PantherX, I ran LinpackXtreme_x64 on 24 threads and then 2 threads. I allocated 10GB RAM to it.
On 24 threads, Open Hardware Monitor showed all threads taking 100% of the CPU most of the time, but occasionally dropping to 98%.
On 2 threads (the same as I allocate to Folding@Home) The process takes about 9% of the CPU.
The temperatures of CPU CCD #1 and 2 are a little higher, sometimes reaching 83degC.

The above was with the settings as before - so FAH stresses the CPU much more than LinpackXtreme.

The key thing I've found is that the app to control the water cooling has multiple settings for fan and pump: Silent, Performance, Custom and Fixed. The guys who built the machine for me set both to Silent. Perfectly reasonable. But for running FAH I found that Performance is what I need. Now I have 6 cores allocated to FAH, and it's running at 70/71degC. I'm mad at myself for not digging into the CAM app earlier.

@HugoNotte mentioned Cool and Quiet but I couldn't find that setting anywhere in the BIOS - I searched all sections.

@MeeLee, I'm not sure what the water cooling fans are as the pipes lead to an enclosed unit attached to the front of the case, but that is marked NZXT, like the heat exchanger attached to the CPU. It's a NZXT Kraken X52 240mm. Anyway, the top of the case has holes for two fans, but no fans installed so I'm going to add fans there - can't do any harm to suck hot air out.

Thanks again, folks.

PS, I keep posting this, and it keeps disappearing. Have I broken some rule?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

"PS, I keep posting this, and it keeps disappearing. Have I broken some rule?"

You have managed to post the same thing three separate times, I have seen all three right after they were posted in the topic. I am deleting the first 2 copies from 1:34 AM and 9:16 AM. Not sure what is happening on your end, there was no delay on the forum before they posted.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Juggy
Hardware configuration: Intel i9 9900KF @4.9GHZ
MSI Z390M Gaming OC
64GB G-Skill Ripjaw 3200
Gigabyte RTX2060 Super Gaming OC
NZXT Kraken X63 AIO
Corsair RM850
Samsung 1TB Evo Pro NVMe

Post by Juggy »

roygrubb wrote:I've been able to get back to this now after being away.

@HugoNotte mentioned Cool and Quiet but I couldn't find that setting anywhere in the BIOS - I searched all sections.

@MeeLee, I'm not sure what the water cooling fans are as the pipes lead to an enclosed unit attached to the front of the case, but that is marked NZXT, like the heat exchanger attached to the CPU. It's a NZXT Kraken X52 240mm. Anyway, the top of the case has holes for two fans, but no fans installed so I'm going to add fans there - can't do any harm to suck hot air out.

Thanks again, folks.

PS, I keep posting this, and it keeps disappearing. Have I broken some rule?
For the CAM app I use pump at full speed and then use the fan curves bound to the CPU to ramp up fan speed as the CPU reaches certain temps. My i9 on 12c for folding never went over 70 degrees C
ajm

Post by ajm »

But the i9s (tried two yet) get as hot with FAH as with Linpack Xtreme, whereas Threadrippers get hotter with FAH.
Juggy
Hardware configuration: Intel i9 9900KF @4.9GHZ
MSI Z390M Gaming OC
64GB G-Skill Ripjaw 3200
Gigabyte RTX2060 Super Gaming OC
NZXT Kraken X63 AIO
Corsair RM850
Samsung 1TB Evo Pro NVMe

Post by Juggy »

ajm wrote:But the i9s (tried two yet) get as hot with FAH as with Linpack Xtreme, whereas Threadrippers get hotter with FAH.
A 3900X is not a Threadripper though?

I have a 3950X and an Asus X570 I Gaming ITX arriving on Sat. I will run F@H on it with a Kraken X63 and see what I get in terms of temps.

I did run the i9 at 1.35v and 5GHZ and still didn't get over 74 degrees with F@H
ajm

Post by ajm »

I meant Zen 2 CPUs. There's something in the way they handle the AVX instruction set: viewtopic.php?p=337275#p337275

And viewtopic.php?p=337129#p337129