Dumped! what did i do wrong?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ajm

Re: Dumped! what did i do wrong?

Post by ajm »

Just to add that Windows (from XP on) doesn't really limit the size of a text file on an NTFS drive. It would start to become a problem if the editor used can't open a large file. I read that Notepad would call it quit at 512 MB, for example. But "real" text editors can open several GBs files, provided you have the RAM.
Last edited by ajm on Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knish

Post by Knish »

thanks all!

just a final oddity: i don't understand how my GPUs.txt file could go missing. i'm certainly not deleting it. I'm under the assumption fah will go looking for a new one every so often?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The other possibility is that the client reached the point where it was trying to update the GPUs.txt file. That happens about once a month. The order of some startup items for the client also were modified for the current version, perhaps that created a potential for something to go wrong under the right circumstances.

But ultimately the reason may never be certain. Could be that with a large go file after running that long the whole system needed to be given just a bit more time before stopping FAHClient and rebooting.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3