Multiple Computers

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

YosiMor
Hardware configuration: Once-fairly-powerful 10-year-old (non-gaming) desktop PC: 1st-gen Core i7-860 #CPU + 8 GB RAM + GeForce GT 240.
Dual-boot configuration running Windows 10 + (lately, mostly) Ubuntu LTS 20.04 .

Re: Multiple Computers

Post by YosiMor »

Joe_H wrote:
YosiMor wrote:Does this hold true also for a single desktop machine that can be dual-booted into either Windows or Ubuntu (and in either case receiving the same static IP-address)?
Yes, the unique ID assigned on first connection is not connected to your IP address.
Perhaps in the case of such a dual-boot machine it might indeed be desirable to "clone" the Folding@Home configuration between the two OS-installations, so that when switching between the two, the checkpointing mechanism can facilitate continued work on the same WU (with minimal loss of work already performed)?

Would this be possible, and -- if so -- how?

Thanks in advance,
- Yosi
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Actually, no it would not be desirable. You would not be able to continue on the checkpointed WU on a a different OS You can always set work to Finish before switching.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH will treat your dual-boot computer as two distinct computers, one of which is turned off. WUs assigned to either one must eventually be completed by that same computer within the deadlines that were assigned when the WU was downloaded.