GPU not boosting

Driver issues associated with the Windows 10 roll-out

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

silverpulser

GPU not boosting

Post by silverpulser »

Running f@h on Windows 10 64bit Pro and latest F@H software. GPU is 750 Ti.
For the last two days GPU-Z is showing my GPU clock as 1019 Mhz where as it normally runs at 1162 Mhz; i.e. no boost. The GPU has been running normally 24/7 for about 4 years now. All temps look low so I am wondering what could be causing this.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Re: GPU not boosting

Post by foldy »

Some work units don't trigger boost. No boost is more power efficient. If you still want to boost nevertheless then run any 3D app in parallel, e.g. FAH Viewer.
silverpulser

Post by silverpulser »

Ok, thanks for the reply. I did wonder whether it was the units. Certainly makes for an easier life for the GPU and fans. Temps are down to around 40C.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

usually Core 22 would do the opposite to high end GPUs.
I guess the core isn't optimized for older GPUs?
I'm thinking, if the GPU runs at PCIE 1.0 8x or PCIE 2.0 x4 or slower, it may also be PCIE bandwidth starved.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAHCore_22 is not optimized for some GPUs at the expense of other GPUs. The drivers make whatever decisions are appropriate for specific GPU models. Blame the chip manufacturer and it's driver.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Would be nice to have that option in FahCore if user wants a work unit to to max GPU usage with boost for best performance or lower GPU usage without boost for better UI responsiveness and power efficency. Maybe OpenMM framework could trigger both behaviors depending on OpenCL allocation? Would be a feature
bruce

Post by bruce »

Write an enhancement suggestion in https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-issues. Be sure to explain the issue clearly.

One of these days (soon) FAH's code is all going to be open-source and there will be enough programmers looking for something they can improve.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

Sounds great!
A program where you can assign the amount of cores on your GPU.
The lower the amount of simultaneous threads, the lower the power consumption (but also the lower the ppd).
bruce

Post by bruce »

I'm not sure that makes sense.

Every application that uses the GPU generates blocks of work called kernels and submits them to the GPU. The application knows the characteristics of the GPU and generates kernels that will run within those constraints. Whether the kernel comes from FAHCore_2x or from the OS (to update the desktop) or from youtube (to process a video) it's up to the GPU to schedule them internally.

UI responsiveness depends on whether there are free resources at the time the OS submits a UI update kernel as well as whether it has to wait for a free moment on the PICe bus.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I see...
Another alternative, is to issue a small delay between data feeding from the CPU to GPU, causing the GPU to use a little less power.
It's kind of counter intuitive to slow down a process in hopes to lower TDP.
I wished FAH could have more direct access to the power settings from the driver.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

MeeLee wrote:...is to issue a small delay between data feeding from the CPU to GPU, causing the GPU to use a little less power....
That would cause thermal stress on the GPU since you would be cycling from high GPU load to low GPU load. Thermal stress isn't ideal for the longevity of the system :(
MeeLee wrote:...I wished FAH could have more direct access to the power settings from the driver.
Once the GPU Vendors build a driver with a scheduling system and the OS supports it, it would then be up to F@H to use those features. Currently, there's no GPU scheduler so it's a bit of a hit-and-miss.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues