Folding and gaming with the same computer

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Ichbin3
Hardware configuration: MSI H81M, G3240, RTX 2080Ti_Rev-A@220W, Ubuntu 18.04

Folding and gaming with the same computer

Post by Ichbin3 »

Hi there,
I just want to set up my computer with two NVIDIA gpus @win10.
MSI B450 Tomahawk, Ryzen 5 2600
The RTX (@PCIE 16) should be used for folding and the GTX (@PCIE 4) shall be used for normal computer work including occasional low level gaming, but no folding.
First I can not get my monitor working at the GTX in the second slot.
Secondly, any hints how I can force the computer to use the GTX only for all grafik work?
This is not about the setup of F@H, I do know how to handle this part.
Thanks!
MSI H81M, G3240, RTX 2080Ti_Rev-A@220W, Ubuntu 18.04
bruce

Re: Folding and gaming with the same computer

Post by bruce »

Windows makes certeain preferential assumptions about the GPU from which you log on. Other applications may allow you to choose, including FAH, your browser(s), etc. but each one has it's own preference screen so getting them all straightened out can be a chore. :evil:

I think you're confusing NVIDIA and AMD.
foldy
Hardware configuration: Folding@Home Client 7.6.13 (1 GPU slots)
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Core i5 2500k@4Ghz
Nvidia gtx 1080ti driver 441

Post by foldy »

Windows and all Apps use the graphics card to which the display is connected.

Maybe in BIOS you can choose which graphics card to initialize first.
Ichbin3

Post by Ichbin3 »

foldy wrote:Windows and all Apps use the graphics card to which the display is connected.

Maybe in BIOS you can choose which graphics card to initialize first.
That's also what I assumed, but unfortunately there is no such option.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

You can just install or run windows from the primary GPU.
Then in display options (Settings >> Display, where you can extend your desktop to a second monitor), select the second 'monitor' to be the primary, or, maybe safer, duplicate your desktop on the second GPU.
Sometimes you need to use a HDMI dummy plug, if you don't have a second monitor, as Windows does need some sort of monitor plugged in to see if it can support the resolution your desktop is running at, before it can switch desktops.
You can also buy a cheap monitor, as they go for $50-$100, and can be nice to work with the extra screen estate anyway.

But the switch has to be done, using the same plug as your primary monitor connection. Meaning, HDMI monitor, needs a HDMI dummy plug, or HDMI secondary monitor plugged in the second GPU. No VGA or DisplayPort or something.

Once desktops are switched, and your primary GPU doesn't give a screen anymore, you can unplug your monitor, and plug it into the second GPU.
It should work from there; though sometimes at boot, your system might boot into the first GPU (and shows a blank screen on the second GPU), until your desktop is fully loaded;
Meaning, you might not be able to see any boot errors.

A third option is if you have a USB monitor. They're cheap too, and can help the switch (by duplicating desktop, plugging in the monitor into the second GPU, and switching the desktop to your main monitor in second GPU instead of your USB monitor).

Once the desktop is running from the second GPU, you may need to reinitialize FAH (I don't know if FAH slots get affected by the switch); and set it to fold on one or both GPUs.
You can always pause your second GPU if you need more GPU Horsepower.
If both GPUs are Nvidia, and CUDA is enabled, you may be able to fold on both, while still have enough power to game basic games.
Ichbin3

Post by Ichbin3 »

Good hint with the HDMI dummy plug, thanks!
Last edited by Ichbin3 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH will identify each GPU whenever it's restarted. Then a slot is created for each GPU. By pausing the gaming slot, FAH will only seek assignments for the other GPU slot. I recommend adding the setting pause-on-start=true so only the desired GPU will be started manually.

Assuming the GPUs are renumbered when you reconfigure (I don't know if that'll happen), FAH may switch the slots and since the GPUs are different, the WU may migrate, too.
Ichbin3

Post by Ichbin3 »

Quote myself ...
Ichbin3 wrote: This is not about the setup of F@H, I do know how to handle this part.