FAH YouTube Channel?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ajm

FAH YouTube Channel?

Post by ajm »

:!: Why not create an FAH YouTube channel? :D

FAH researchers, officials and/or beta testers could present reviews of hardware and related issues (OpenCL implementation, CPU instruction set development, hybrid CPUs, new technologies), talk about FAH topics, present FAH concerns, almost in real time, or say twice a week.

The channel could rapidly gain subscribers (a large part of folders to begin with). This forum and the Discord server would heavily refer to the videos. It should work very well, fast.

The reviews of hardware would encourage manufacturers to send their new products ahead of launch for review, and maybe even listen to FAH concerns about them. New partnerships could ensue, or it would at least facilitate exchanges with companies that produce hardware or develop software (game industry, video editing industry, server systems, virtualization, ...).

It would be easier too to find what FAH needs when needed, be it fellow researchers, developers, partners for new projects, advice, servers, ...
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: FAH YouTube Channel?

Post by Joe_H »

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ajm

Post by ajm »

:( Say, "Folding Tech", then. :)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Everyone has a plan to make sure the researchers have no time to do research.

You could start one run by volunteer folders, that might not slow down the Folding.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
ajm

Post by ajm »

The channel will be interesting only if real experts come to talk about the issues. Other people could gather infos, make hardware tests, design the presentation of results, organize the timing, prepare a general setup that can be replicated in several places, make scripts for the videos, create graphics and animations, edit the material, and so on, but even these people would have to be some sort of insiders, at least developers or beta testers. And the inputs must come from people who know what they are talking about, and the same people must check the final content before the uploading.

For the researchers, it can of course be their assistants (albeit they would not have to intervene in each and every vid, of course). The time invested for this can be compensated in other ways. Such a channel is a way to dialog with the public in general, and with bigger players in particular. I'm sure researchers can imagine what they can take out of it. If it works: more folders, more sponsors, more hardware, more developers. More science and better research on the whole.

And the people who would do 90% of the actual work (gather infos, etc.) could be paid via YouTube if the channel is doing well.

And if nobody is interested, nothing will happen. In French, we say: If you don't like it, don't ruin it for others (si tu n'aimes pas ça, n'en dégoûte pas les autres).
ajm

Post by ajm »

To clarify and to give more substantial food for thought, or some framework for reflection, I made a list of possible topics or series for such videos. Not really about what the researchers themselves would want or need, as I have only foggy ideas here. But there are more straight-forward themes that I think would be interesting and could be realized mostly by simply seasoned folders and developers (who also are familiar with video realization and editing, which is not especially rare these days), with minimal supervision. It would be the structure of the general, usual content, and the researchers could bring their own topics freely, as highlights.

First an Intro series, with the topics that come again and again on this forum, and that may develop and require updates as FAH evolves and/or people react to the videos:

CPU folding vs. GPU folding
How is it different? Why the big differences in points? How does that translate in the research processes? Examples. Evolution (story). Anecdotes (fun). Facts and figures (graphics). Quotes (famous folders or researchers).

Background story of the point system
Why? Which reflections behind the system? How did it evolve? How did the team system come about? Anecdotes (war among the teams). Facts and figures. Going forward?

Heat
Why so hot while folding? Background explanations. How to handle hot computers. Cooling for desktops and laptops. Tips and tricks.

Software
How does it work? Why many separate pieces of software? Problematic created by the different OS. OpenCL? Gromacs? General instructions. Troubleshooting (can also be very punctual, when some WUs are problematic). Statistics (OS, CPU/GPU, evolution).

Tech series (always with lots of images and/or vids of users and/or partners):

New tech
New products or technologies that are relevant to folding. Can be a series of short news or a more in-depth study of some new tech that can potentially be crucial for folding.

Best standard hardware for folding
Considerations (science benefits, wattage, heat, PPD). Statistics (FAH’s, HFM, folding.lar.systems). Tips and tricks. The Expert's corner.

Old stuff
How to fold with old hardware. Good deals, bad deals. Special problems (eg converted mining rigs). For and against.

Big shots
Visit of AWS, ec2spot, Nvidia, IBM, AMD, Intel, etc. with short interviews, background (stats, achievements), interesting images. Always with a link to folding, of course.

Oddities
Folders that have some special hardware or in a special context.

People series. Portraits of important people in the context of folding. Can of course be researchers, but also folders, developers, admins, just any people if they have an interesting story in the folding realm.

Heroes
Individuals who are bringing or brought some special contribution to the folding of proteins or the hardware or software involved. We also can tell the story of deceased people. Is of course more delicate, must be made with the agreement of parents. But it allows for using images of the past and telling nice stories, with a special tone.

Scientists
How does the daily business look like for a researcher or a team of researchers in this field? How does one become such a person in such a domain? Interviews, storytelling, science, philosophy. Achievements or explanations about what is an achievement in this field. Career. World map of this research (always people-related).

Developers
Special challenges in this field. Achievements. Series of portraits of people who have accompanied the folding adventure.

Teams
Interesting stories about the folding teams. Who they are, what brought them together.

In-depth series, where researchers take us for a journey into their specialty or some new processes.

Specials series, with special announcements related to FAH. Events, incidents, special situations.

On-demand series, with videos responding to wishes of the community.
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

Actually a series of recorded sessions much in the style of something like https://twit.tv/shows/security-now might nicely cover a lot of the subjects you cover and could build into a weekly series - personally I think the two host system works well as it allows for discussion around subjects rather than just a one way push style ... If this were planned and built out it could include regular features such as a quarterly Q&A session and the occasional guest ... should be possible to do in a socially distanced manner with one of the many session capture tools .. a little bit of editing and cleaning up.

... but I really love the idea of packaging up some of the key support concerns or general discussion topics in video nuggets - however this is done :)
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Aside from diverting researchers from research, you also seem to be planning diverting funds from Folding to PR.

Solve those issues and you have a plan!

If you want a role model, watch Emily Graslie on YouTube. She started with just enthusiasm, and built her channel. step by step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KnRxNnU5A4

The gentleman interviewing her is her ex-camera man.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

As far as I can see quiet a lot of the above suggestions could be achieved with minimal (if any) distraction to the researchers and at bare minimal (if any cost) - the video work requires no outlay - just record zoom/teams/another tool sessions - there are a number of decent editors that are free - a bit of research of the forums and discussions/email/pms with a few people with experience provides a fair bit of the content ... so solved both of your two initial issues :) ... feel free to throw a few more bricks ;)

What you have alighted on that is far more key than access to researchers or funding is enthusiasm and commitment - it needs somebody (-bodies) like Emily who just want to do this and get on with it - starting with small easy topics and building up from the ... the serial (weekly/fortnightly) videocast format works quite well as people get to learn to expect the next issue and it will build up the content over time and channel (which is also how Steve and Leo started out iirc).

Fah itself is already actually utiising a fair bit of resource (both i peoples time and funding) with the websites/youtube formal videos - so I guess they feel diverting funds and researchers is already actually worth doing - but for this type of this at enthusiasts level neither are essential - let the FaH Consortium do the formal PR and simple focus on the enthusiasts interests.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
ajm

Post by ajm »

Yes, sooner or later it needs a business plan. But not money from the Consortium, only their endorsement. A small team should gather, sort themselves out, talk with the Consortium, and jump, invest their time and enthusiasm, prepare a good schedule then stick to it - consistency will be key, I think. FAH would just put their approval stamp on the project and the team and of course supervise them, or guide them if they so wish. I guess there already are people responsible for this kind of things. And researchers would rather use the channel than be used by it. The exact terms of the collaboration could be delineated on a periodic basis (annual for example).

Down the road, the money would come from YouTube and sponsors. I believe you first have to gather a minimal amount of subscribers, then you can monetize the videos. What you get from the adds depends on the domain. Here, in tech/medical research, you sure can make good money. Then as soon as you have a real audience, you can attract sponsors ("This video is brought to you by..."). I'm quite sure that many brands would love to be associated with FAH and what it represents, and they do have budgets for this. There also is an aspect of special performance to it, for tech brands - what would be judged performant by the "Folding Tech" team (hardware tests) could be used for their own marketing.

The team would quite probably have to cross a desert, financially, at the beginning, but if they take it seriously, and hang on, their efforts will bear fruits.
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

You guys do realise that people who do the science are here to do the science and not become influencers. We have handful of researchers doing what they are good at. There is so much data coming in, they don't have any time left to start youtubing on daily or even weekly bases.
Then you have 1 lead dev, who is doing everything technical and rarely comes out to the top for any fresh air.
Obviously we have John, who is mainly involved with GPU cores, and he has his hands full.
Then you have github devs, who are contributing on their spare time
Then you have few people who are involved with PR, and they are doing it as a side "hoby" to whatever they are doing in UNIs or day jobs.
Then there is contributors, us, who always demand perfection and have thousands of ideas which need to be implemented right now :D
FAH exists because of handful very dedicated people. It is not run by 100s of people or large corporation.
Youtube is clickbait driven revenue stream. There is no consistent clickbaits in FAH. One of them is COVID, but that splits youtube audience, due to side effects coming with the pandemic. In order for youtube channel to be financial/time viable it needs large audience. And I'm afraid average joe will not be interested in scientific views in the video. They just don't have enough cats, fortnites or we broke up in a supercar material.
FAH Beta tester
ajm

Post by ajm »

OK, let's catch a few cats for the filming, then:

Seriously you probably didn't read the above. Researchers may intervene when they please/want or need to spread a message. If they don't, fine. But as a matter of facts, FAH is spending time and efforts in communication. And there are countless YouTube Tech channels that people are living on - as many inspirations for an FAH adaptation. I don't see why this particular channel should be doomed.
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

Other channels which semi promote FAH have their own theme. FAH is a side thing for them and not the main driver of revenues.
FAH only channel will not be sustainable. Concentration on YouTube is not the solution for anything.
There are Twitter accounts which provide a lot of info, Facebook pages. All of that is either run by fans or researchers spare time. In order for YouTube channel to grow large enough is to dedicate yourself full time. And even then, science papers on how protein folds is not gen z with memory like a fish material.
FAH Beta tester
ajm

Post by ajm »

Science papers of how proteins folds? I don't remember having mentioned that in viewtopic.php?p=341595#p341595

There are always new topics that pop up in the Tech industry. The whole PC universe can serve as material for this channel. And of course the folding itself and/or the medical research in general. Really not boring, I'd say.

A one-man show would indeed require full-time dedication, but for a team of part-time people who are following these topics anyway?

I don't see much of a difference in the new generation (my children are now preparing my grand-pa future...). It's just that people who think less tend to talk more, and nowadays it's become so much easier to gabble.
muziqaz

Post by muziqaz »

Protein folding and more mature topics might be interesting to us old farts, but YouTube is driven by young generation with attention span of 10ns. That is a reality, I'm afraid, those who upload multiple crap a day get most attention from YouTube algorithms, thus get most views, those who spend a week on a good length informative well researched video get peanuts.
There has been a lot of examples on twitch how streamers shoot to the stardom just because they started their stream few hours earlier rather than producing quality content
FAH Beta tester