Reinfections? [URL]

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

WTS

Reinfections? [URL]

Post by WTS »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medica ... onavirus_3
Koopmans told NOS that in order for reinfection, a virus must change its genetic code. She added during the interview with the broadcaster that, given the veracity of the virus, recurrence of infection was to be expected.
If reinfection is possible, the COVID-19 vaccine may become like the annual flu shot (perhaps they can be combined), a new shot annually for different strains of the virus. Also, a treatment may become more and more needed if a vaccine alone isn't enough. That's a good reason to keep on folding! I fold 24/7. I hope all of us will fold around the clock. Who knows, what we do may lead to treatments for other virus outbreaks.
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
Jonazz

Re: Reinfections? [URL]

Post by Jonazz »

This is definitely a reason to keep folding. We're back up to 1.7 exaflops which is very encouraging!
JohnChodera
Pande Group Member

Post by JohnChodera »

The COVID Moonshot is hoping that the small molecule inhibitor we are developing could act as both a therapy and prophylactic that complements the COVID-19 vaccines that we hope will eventually be widely deployed. So even with the vaccine, we will likely still need small molecule COVID-19 therapies!

~ John Chodera // MSKCC
bruce

Post by bruce »

Today's medical data on reinfections. (From a public health Dr -- not related to FAH)
Getting another strain is possible but so far, VERY rare. Topic is important to discuss but not at present worrisome.

We have to get a different influenza shot every September. We may have to do that with COVID19 at some time in the future.

(I can't publish a working URL to my source.)