Recommended Linux Installation & Configuration

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ipkh

Re: Recommended Linux Installation & Configuration

Post by ipkh »

Ubuntu and its derivatives are easy to install and fold on.
Just install the base and the proprietary Nvidia drivers. Ubuntu will pull in the rest of the compute stack for you. No need to download the drivers from Nvidia.
Only the fahclient is needed. Go to this page https://github.com/cdberkstresser/fah-control/releases and download the forked copy of fahcontrol.
You should then be good to go.
patoshea

Post by patoshea »

Hi all!
I think I'd use this thread as I am also a beginner with Linux.
I have a CentOS VPS with Fastpanel control panel installed and two websites hosted on it.
Is it a good idea to add F@H to it? Can I just install CentOS version on my VPS as if it were my personal computer?
Any advice would be appreciated.
MeeLee

Post by MeeLee »

I think CentOs has some issues with getting the binaries (.rpm files) to work, according to what I read some user write here.

As far as downloading the run files from Nvidia, it's preferred if you have multi-gpus.
I know the deb drivers only work well if you have only 1 GPU.
Not to mention that you're stuck with older drivers, if you don't go for the .run files.
Knish

Post by Knish »

patoshea - i am unfamiliar with CentOS VPS but it sounds like a cloud based service, so be warned that to save costs, many operate on burstable cpu services that build burst credit via idle time. FAH will never let u go idle for long so will eat thru your burstable credits in a few hours, then it could be likely your VPS will slow to such a crawl that both your website and FAH become unusable...

which reminds me, you sound like a good candidate for cloud folding: https://github.com/gitHu6-newb/FoldingAtAltitude